opinions, please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Roncarati

Reaction score
O.K., have the 2-3 flare. Had the solenoid replaced and worked fine for 2 1/2 weeks. Flare back! I do have the ESP good through October this year or 75k. I've got 63k on her now.

2 dealers have told me that it will cost 400.00 to teard down tranny and "diagnose" the problem. If they deem that is is covered, there will be a 100.00 deductable to cover he whole job. If not, the 400.00 will obviously go over a grand. When I asked why this wouldn't be covered sinve on the ESP it says "transmission and all parts" they said the warranty rep would have to see the part (400.00 into it) and approve the warranty. And he also would want to see any maintanance records. I figured since I had no transmission maintenance done, they would use this loophole to stick it to me, since they already have it in peices. Then I look on the Ford website and there seems to be no transmission maintenance until 100k under normal driving conditions(that's me). When towing, fluid should be changed by now.

My dilema: Do I roll the dice and have them do the work, or do I have a family member (who does transmissions for a living) do this himself. He can tear down and rebuild trannies in his sleep, and the labor cost will be zip, but I would have to buy parts.

Opinions appreciated, Thanks!

By the way, it's a 2001.

I would go with the warranty repair. In my opinion, since the Ford service manual does not recommend any tranny amintenance at your mileage then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I was in a very similar situation wth my Vette, the long and short of it is that I got a NEW motor put in my 1998 Corvette and this happened in 2002! :) I realize we are talking about 2 different auto manufactureres but I can't see what they could find inside your tranny to make them say that you are responsible.

I would do the EPC mod and then disconnect the battery to reset the computer and go from there...

Todd Z

Thanks guys, Tood Z, I just talked to my father in law and he agrees. We (he) changed the solenoid and filter already, he suggests having the dealer flush it, and then doing the EPC mod.

The dealer will not adjust the pressure, So if your ok with the fluid that is in there, get 5 more qts, Drop that pan 1 more time and adjust that sucker...

The EPC's are factory set at a standard pressure, So Try upping it and keep us posted...

Todd Z

Go to a different dealer. If you have the ESP warranty with $100 deductable, that's all you are required to pay!

The source of your problem is in the Valvbody and that'[s what needs to be replaced. That can be done by simply dropping the pan and removing the filter and then the valvebody/solenoid assembly.

The solenoids are electronic controls that move hydraulic valves in the valvebody. The Sport Trac transmission has a problem where the valves stick causing extra load on the electic solenoids. Over time they wear out the solenoids. Replacing just the solenoids only solves the problem until the sticking valves weaken the new solenoid. The only fix is to replace the solenoid and the valvebody which will cost about $400-$500.

You can also adjust the EPC pressure screw about 1/8 of a turn and the added pressure will help overcome the sticking valves but I don't know how long that will last?

...Rich