opinions, please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is most prevalent (and unbiased) opinion on future of the ST? Also, what is the truck you would most consider for driving 40K miles a year?

Patrick,

40k miles a year on a truck that sounds strange in and of itself.

But then, I don't know your usage and the utility for which you would need a truck to do that much driving. Maybe if you explained I would have a different opinion.

TJR

DanJ, the Adrenalin was discontinued no doubt largely due to lackluster sales. Don't bet that it will be the dominant style ST sold going forward. Heck, I figured the mono-colored XLT Premium ST once introduced would be the defacto that people would buy, but that seemed to not be the case. The cost-conscious will always buy the lower-end.

The future of the ST? I used to think that as long as there is the standard Explorer, Ford would make a Sport Trac version of it. But the market is changing drastically and truck/SUV sales definitely aren't what they used to be. Ford is hinting that future Explorers will be different, as in unibody construction and what not. Plus there's the CAFE requirement of having an average of 20mpgs (yay). At any rate, I dunno if Ford will make a Sport Trac version of the next generation Explorer (if there is a next). Maybe Ford will finally redesign the Ranger and offer a crew-cab version of it.

As for your other question, I don't know of any truck that I would like to drive 40K a year. I mean I would gladly do it in my Trac, but not with its 14.5 mpg average. And show me a V6, let alone a V8, truck out there that will average better than 14.5 mpgs..realistically. I do have high-hopes for Ford's upcoming EcoTech engines, which claims a V6 with V8 performance and drastically improved mileage!

I will be driving this for work and admittedly won't need a truck for all those miles, but have enjoyed mine (01 with 142K) so far. Current reimbursement is 50.5 cents per mile for probably half of those miles and trying to decide whether to put more money into my current or use the rebates and get a new one. Nice to have a new one, but hate to wear it out in a few years...

Between my wife and I we drive almost 60k per year. That's easy to figure since my trucks has 280,000 miles on it since it was new in 1999, and her Trac has almost 140,000 on it since it was new in 2003. Both were bought new with close to 0 miles.

Buy a new St and buy the extended warranty. I know I am going to flamed for saying that, but since you already know your new ST will be out of warranty quickly, it would be easy insurance.

Chad

I would buy a new ST and drive it. Short easy miles kill a vehicle.

Driving all the time is easy on it.

Don't think so?

Test drive a car that is a few years old with alot of miles on it. Drive one that is a few years nold with no miles on it.

Which one feels solid?

The one that is newer with low miles.

Why? Age.

Tom

Latest posts