Optima Red Top vs. Sears Die Hard

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Longino

Reaction score
Well, I went to start the ST this morning and my battery is dead, so I'm looking for your input as to which battery is best for the Trac. I've read the Optima posts from the past 90 days and a thread that was linked from there. I don't have any additional electronics, so I believe that I would need the Red Top if I go with the Optima.

Also, what should I expect to pay for an Optima vs. the Diehard?

What do you guys think???

I would always go with optima over the die hard, they have more CCA, and it will last much longer. But if you want the ultimate, we have new batteries here at Tsunami that are kick A$$. They are Absorbed Electrilyte technology, and our X151200 (which I "think" will fit the ST) has 1200 CCA, and can be put through just about anything, cause they cannot be spilled at all.. If you want more info just let me know, and ill go through my catologs and get you everything.

Optima's are the best. They are deep cycle batteries and can take hell and last incredibly long. You can even mount them sideways and all kind of positions. They are really popular in the race and customizing scene. Yellow tops are even better than reds. I also believe they have a blue top for marine use. Definately go with the Optima. :)

As much as I want an Optima Battery, I can not justify spending that much money on a batery.

Go to Autozone and get a Duralast battery.

Tom

You can get an Optima on eBay for around $130 shipped. I got my Yellow top there, and should something happen to my ST, that battery will be coming out and going into my next car.

Actually the battery at "Advance Auto Parts" had one of the highest ratings in CR magazine. Also 3 year free replacement warranty

Get any battery that is not made by EXIDE... they Stink... Johnson controls is one of the best around....

IF you do not have a large stereo, fog lights, crazy electronics and do not have a habit of leaving lights on and killing the battery, go for the die-hard gold.. I believe it is 900cca ( here in the north east zone) and has a 3 year free replacement and a 7 year prorated warranty..

Todd Z

You might also consider how long you are going to keep the Trac.

If it's 3 years or so, to save money, any good battery will do; you don't need the "ultimate".

Even a battery from Wal-mart should last 3-4 years if you don't kill it with too many devices or leave your headlights on.

(Why every car doesn't have automatic off headlights after 10 mins with key off is beyond me!)

Also, I've read that you'll need to rig some kind of bracket to mount the Optimas properly under the Trac's hood.

Had 3 Sears batteries in my old car... one really, it kept dying hard, and they kept replacing it. It would always die as soon as it went below 60 degrees outside, every year, until I sold the car.

I would always bring in the car, and they would test the electrical system, all good.

I'd never get another battery from Sears, although I love their service and products.

I went with an Optima Yellow, have had it for about a year now, no issues.