OT: Anybody unto R/C Trucks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Davis

Reaction score
Anybody in here into r/c cars (nitro engine)? I have one I am trying to learn how to tune and need help.

Thanks

what size motor and on what is it new or used .the first and most important is to brake it in correctly. run it rich (to much oil ) which is adjusted by the low end screw in is lean out is rich you always want it to smoke.

Hope I can help. I have or had RC Nitro Cars, Boats, Helis and Airplanes. Ask away ..i kinda need a idea what you are trying to find out, if anything.

Raserx

It is a Team LOSI LST with a .26 Mach engine. I got it about 2 years ago and it is broke in pretty good. But for some reason it has not run good the past year or so. A "tech" or 2 at the LHS worked on it and it hasn't worked right since.

Here is the prob. I put a new glow plug and fresh gas in it. I can get it to start but when I take the ignitor out and try to throttle it it dies everytime. I know it is warmed up. Just dies every time I put a little throttle into it. I figured it is the mixture or idle or both but not sure which or what combination.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the CEN 4wd 2 speed truck, was a blast !!! Nitro and i think a .29 motor... I had tuning issues with it at first. I called CEN and they said just pay shipping and they would tune the truck and adjust it all for free...

IT worked great till it saw it's death about 6 months later in MA in a park and ride by a 18 wheeler...:(

Ohh well....

Todd Z

Just checked a nitro rc mag I bought last summer with a section with the ten most common engine problems and it states when an engine has warmed up and either stalls or runs poorly it could be a worn piston and sleeve to check this rotate the flywheel with one finger and if you can work it through an entire revolution without feeling much resistance :( . The other possibly problem says that when the ignitoris removed and the engine stalls that the fuel mixture is to possibly to rich. I hope its the latter.

The bigger motors ar notoriously hard to start.... Have you looked at the cylinder walls? Low compression may be the culprit. It should be very diificult to turn the motor with the flywheel by hand. What kind of fuel are you using? You need Fresh high nitro fuel at the least 20%. Next, does the glow plug your are using have the right heat range? Is the plug good? Sometimes the wire will break and still work intermitantly. But when you start to rev it will vibrate apart and cool the wire stoping the motor. These are just a few suggestions please get back to me and let me know. The motors are pretty simple if you have air , fuel and an ignition source they should run. the rest is a little tinkering get it smoothed out.

Raserx:)

You probably have gummed up fuel lines or an air leak. It sounds like the truck sat for a while, which usually kills fuel lines. Did you use ARO? (after run oil for the uninitiated)...

Is the carb base and engine back plate sealed with silicone? I would reseal the crankcase. Check the fuel tank for cracks too...

I've got a HPI Savage monster truck with a .26 that's about to get a .28. I've actually got four nitros (three touring cars and two trucks) and one electric.

I hang out at www.rcnitrotalk.com, check in there for more help. They are a great bunch of guys...

Check out this Nitro Tuning Flow Chart, it might help...[Broken External Image]:

HTH...

Mark

Latest posts