OT: Help me find ways to save gas, sorry

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Salov

Reaction score
i saw this website a few weeks ago, some major company gave out ways to save and conserve ur gas mileage. i thinkn edmunds, or something searching but nothing is comming up, there was like 10 things they said. i would greatly appreciate it cause i chose to do a speach on this. thanks guys

John

Don't stop - ok maybe you can't help it, but you can try to drive farther "ahead" of your Trac. In other words, instead of racing to the next light which might be red (or to traffic that's stopped), let your foot off the gas and coast. If you can, maintain your distance with traffic ahead, so when you do have to slow down, maybe you won't have to completely stop. Use your throttle to control your speed and position instead of your brakes - if you can.

A lot of those items on Edmunds (and this one) were a result of lessons learned during mileage challenges held during the 60's (or 70's). These guys were kinda nuts. Stripped down cars, overinflated tires, driving with the windows rolled up - in the dead of summer, coasting, and not stopping all contributed to outrageously high mileage.

Hey, maybe Wayne can tune us a chip for mileage instead of performance...

Nawwww

the driving habits sound like good advice, but come-on......keeping your car clean and waxxed??????? That is silly. I don't think even the most mud-covered, filthy off-road vehicle would lose any fuel economy, except maybe from the added weight from pounds of mud. Maybe if you wax your car with some sort of super NASA teflon caoting, then MAYBE, you might get an extra 100ft out of a gallon of gas.

I'd just lay down the ST tail-gate (if the tonneau isn't installed) and drive reasonably.

DD

deadlydavy, check this out....

it suprised me too, but i guess u can do a reinactment at home. take a regular loose leaf peice of paper, hold it to ur face under ur lip. let it hang. then blow, u will see the paper rise. its crazy.

Anyone notice the ad at the bottom of the Edmunds page advertising the "Tornado Fuel Saver"? :lol:

Don't knock the Tornado Fuel Saver. I installed one on my Trac and went from 18 MPG to 21. That's a big gain. The only other mods I made at the same time weretro remove the OEM bed cover, remove the brush guard, trailer hitch, inflated the tires to 50 psi, gutted the interior ( except for the driver's seat), remove the glass (except for windshield) and put a block of wood under the gas pedal to limit its travel. So please don't knock a product that you haven't tried.:D

Oh great, the TURDnado strikes again.

Guys, if you get any better mileage from restricting your air flow, I will kiss your butt. There are a thousand OTHER reasons why you gained mileage, sticking something in your air intake is simply a BAD IDEA. Imagine if a piece of that little TURDnado broke off...where's it gonna go?

That's right, it's going to go right in your intake and down into one of your cylinders...then what?

Then you're going to have to spend a LOT of $$ to get it fixed.

The TURDnado goes AFTER your air-filter. NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING should be after your air filter unless you are BEGGING for engine problems.

I'm not calling you a liar Mike, but I bet if you think back to how you drove after you put the turdnado in, you'll realize that you probably did one or two things a bit differently. I mean maybe you took it a bit easier going up a hill, or you didn't pass that slowpoke who was driving you INSANE on your way home from work, there could have been a miriad of things that were different about that particular tank of gas, or those particular tanks of gas. I haven't seen any hard EVIDENCE that the turdnado actually gives you more power and/or better gas mileage. Putting something in the path of free-flowing air will do nothing but RESTRICT airflow. If you want to get swirling air, you need a rifled tube, sticking a "fan" in there won't help. Or you could always buy a chevy with a vortec engine. I can GUARANTEE you that there are NO turdnados anywhere in the vortec system. ;)

I really would like to see a long-term test with the tornado/turbnado/turdnado to see if it helps. I'd just be willing to bet dollars to donuts that it doesn't. It goes against the laws of physics if it helps and I need to go back to college for 6 more years. hehe

Johnny, I'd highly recommend getting a tune from Wayne. ANYTHING you can do to make your engine perform more efficiently is going to give you better gas mileage. Think of your engine as a giant air pump. The easier you can get air in (intake) and out (exhaust), the more efficient your engine will be, and the better your gas mileage will be. Another EXCELLENT idea is the coasting between stoplights idea, as well as rarely passing others, stay away from uphill inclines and don't take off quickly. If you do have to go up a hill, be more inclined to lose a few miles per hour than mash your foot to the floor and shift down a gear to pick up speed. If you're trying to conserve gas, LOW RPMs are your friend.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavour.

-Scott