OT: Musician Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Koback

Reaction score
To all you musicians out there:

I'm looking at trying to teach myself how to play the drums and am looking for a little help on choosing the proer "starter" equipment. I know absolutely nothing about any kind of percussion instruments and have no idea where to start. The only thing I know is that I want to learn how to play. What would I need to have a decent starter kit? I've looked at some of the sets that musicians friends have but not really sure what I need. I know you guys and gals can answer almost any question, so you're input and advice is really appreciated.

MK ..... The "other" Mark

You are in luck. I play the drums ;)

For a basic basic rock starter kit I would go with a snare, 12, 14 and 16 inch toms.....and either a 20 or 22 inch bass drum, depending on what kind of music you want to play. Jazz, blues......go 20.....rock go 22.

as for cymbals. a crash....16 inch is what I have and a ride...18 inch, I think is what I have, are basic and you can add from there.

Start cheap and work your way up....any questions, just ask or email.

I thought you were asking a musician question, not a drummer question HAHAHAHAHAHA

What do you call a drummer who breaks up with his girlfriend? Homeless

What do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians? A drummer

How do you know it's time to go get a beer at the concert? The drum solo starts.

Q: Why do drummers have a half ounce more brains than horses?

A: So they don't disgrace themselves at the parade.

Q: How can you tell when there is a drummer at your front door?

A: The knocking gets faster.

Q: How do you know when a drum solo's really bad?

A: The bass player notices.

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one, but he'll break ten bulbs before figuring out that they can't just be pushed in.

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Twenty. One to hold the bulb, and nineteen to drink until the room spins.

Q: What did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?

A: Drool.

If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum.

Which drummer?

There's a five pound note on the floor. Of a thrash guitarist, a drummer who keeps good time, and a drummer who keeps bad time, who picks it up?

The drummer who keeps bad time. The other drummer doesn't exist, and the thrash guitarist doesn't care about notes anyway.

What is your IQ?

Bob is throwing a party. He decides that, to break the ice at his party, he'll ask his guests what their I.Q. is--hopefully this will strike up an appropriate conversation from there.

The day of Bob's party rolls around, and when the first guest knocks on the door, Bob asks the person what her I.Q. is.

"200,000" replies the first guest.

"Well, that's great," says Bob, let's talk about ethereal astro physics.

Bob and this first guest talk about the aforementioned subject for a while.

Later in the party, someone else is at the door. "Hi my name is Bob; welcome to my party, what's your I.Q.?"

The new guest responds with "250".

"Great," says Bob. "Lets talk about advanced math. Bob and his new guest talk about calculus and statistics for awhile.

Much later in the party, after many more guests had arrived and been spoken to by Bob, yet another guest arrives at the door. "Hi, my name's Bob; welcome to my party, what's your I.Q.?"

This time the guest replies after putting some thought into it "five".

"Well, that's great," says Bob, "what kind of drumsticks do you use?"

Looking to buy

A man walks into a shop. "You got one of them Marshall Hiwatt AC30 amplificatior thingies and a Gobson StratoBlaster geetar with a Fried Rose tremolo?"

"You're a drummer, aren't you?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

"This is a travel agency."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just set up my Rogers set I used back in the late 60's. My 14 yearold wanted to try and play them. I told him I took lessons for a year before I had a set. He now knows you don't just sit behind a set and play. it takes awhile to learn. Take some lessons and go with an inexpensive set first. Good luck...and practice. Gary D. in CT

Dale you will have to pay for those comments sooner or later lol...

I'm a gigging drummer and would advise you to buy used. Look in your local paper and you should find a good kit. I wouldn't start with anything expensive until you progress and decide you like. Don't worry too much about the size and brand of cymbals yet - that comes much later and you change many times over anyway.

Click on my link and check out my drum pages and you'll see some of my stuff.

Good luck!

Hang on to those Rogers! Friend of mine sold his many years ago and still wished he had them. Person he sold them to has been using them weekly for the past 20 years!

Chris T. Every time I mention I have a set of Rogers drums from 1967, someone says " do you want to sell them ". I say no way, they do have somewhat of a collector value. If my son doesn't want them, maybe my grandson will , he'll be three soon!

Thanks for the input everyone. I never thought about going with a used set, but I'll have to check on that now.

MK ..... The "other" Mark

I played a bit of trap set in High school and college, but I mosly played marching snare and quads/quints along with keyboard percussion.

To add one to Dale C's jokes:

Q: Why did the guitar player keep drum sticks on his dash board?

A: So he coulc park in the handicapped spots

Yeah, buy something cheap. Me and a couple friends would always buy guitars from guys that thought they were going to be great and gave up in a month but already bought a $1000 guitar. They were practally giving them away.

If later on you are improving and are going to stick with it then you can sell yours and upgrade. I took drum lessons in grammar school. Mostly played on those pads with the rubber on them. Got a used set from someone in the neighborhood. That set made its rounds to a few others.

took up the guitar years later.

Good luck!

I bought a limited-edition slingerland jazz set with Sabians all around, worth around $7,000 for $1,500 years back at a music store bankruptcy auction. All wood shells, microphones in the drums, hard road cases...d@mn I loved that set.

I ended up selling it to help pay for college.

Only problem was that something got stolen at nearly every gig. Starving musicians will run off with anything they can stuff in their coat. The cymbals were the last thing to setup and the first to stow - then they started stealing the stands. I really got tired of replacing stuff.

Chops - Here is one for you from a bass player (me)

On a trip to remote Pacific island a botanist heard drumming in the distance. He asked his guide about them and the guide only said, "Bad things happen when drums stop".

After several days of non-stop drumming, the crazed botanist screamed at the guide, "You said bad things happen when the drumming stops, what in Hell can be worse than this?!?".

The guide looked at him with fear in his eyes and said two words. "Bass solo" :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts