OT: Need help with Outlook

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Wu

Reaction score
I need help, please! I have been using Microsoft Outlook for email. I have cable modem with insightbb.com About 2 months ago when we click open the icon to get mail, on the right side would be a send/receive message with the status and the mail seemed to come quickly. NOW...., it takes forever to get mail and it locks up the computer. I called the cable company and they said it was my Mcafee. I called Mcafee and they said it was my ISP provider. I have checked all the settings I can find and even talked it through with the cable company again. Does anyone have any possible solutions or comments or anything? The wife is getting pretty upset, cause all she wants to do is come home open email and check it. The computer I am using is a Dell desktop. It has a 2.8 processor and a 1 gig of ram and a 60 gig hard drive. I look forward to comments, suggestions, anything from anyone!

Thanks! dave :D

disable mcafee and try again if u havn't already, all of mcafee not just part of it and see if that is it, if not u need to call cable company again

or turn it completly off just to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning more to what Jason said. Mcafee is a system hog. It's probably getting hung up on scanning an e-mail and bogging down the system. Turn it off and see if it's the culprit. If it still does it then it's your cable's server that is transfering slow. (though it wouldn't lock up the computer as you are stating it does);)

i got charter high speed internet svc 12/06, and the tech told me ( and the 800 techie as well) to un-install whatever else type of secruity software I might have (had norton), as their security software was better(per them) but I did un-install norton, and have not had any problems like yours. I do have an old (4 yrs +) pc, but the email downloads very fast, its the other software that is slow in loading, etc. Ask your isp how their security software stacks up or performs, I have been happy with charter's security software so far.

I agree with the others who think it might be McAfee's software. If after you uninstall or disable it, and it still doesn't work, Outlook itself may be a problem. I have a few suggestions (in order from easiest to hardest):

1. From the Outlook menu bar -> Help -> About Microsoft Outlook -> Disabled Items. It's possible that Outlook has kicked a plugin or something else needed to deliver your email.

2. From the Outlook menu bar -> Help -> Detect and Repair. Tries to detect and re-install corrupted files.

3. If installed as a part of Microsoft Office, insert the MS Office CD and at setup select the Repair option.

4. From Control Panel, Add & Remove Programs, uninstall Outlook (or Microsoft Office). Then re-install everything fresh (and don't forget to get updates from Microsoft).

Don't forget that you can probably use Outlook Express or your ISP's webmail access until you get this figured out.

I dumped McAfee as soon as the 90-day trial ended. My computer performs much better with Norton. I had similar problems with slow email before uninstalling McAfee.

Thanks everyone! I will try to dump the Mcafee. It came with my desktop and I only renewed it for a year, so I will probably change over to Norton, when the time is up. NOW, I am on my laptop and it also has Mcafee and I don't have email issues with it. I even set my desktop settings to my laptop and it still didn't work. So, again thanks for all hte advise.....Norton it is!

dave :D

Try Googling "Avast". They have free Antivirus for home users and I have used it for 2 years. I love it. Absolutely no problems and it Updates itself daily.

I use Vista Ultimate and they were one of the only ones who had coverage for it.

Works on all Windows operating systems.

I agree with the others. It's probably the McAfee anti-virus software. Disable it and see if that speeds up your system.

If there is no change, then download Microsofts Defender anti-spyware software to check your system and clear any spyware. I know a lot of the Anti-virus software can detect and remove spyware, but some are just better than others. If you get spyware on your system it can really eat up your cpu time and make the system run realy slow.

I have personally encountered PC's infected with over 800+ spyware programs that ran so slow a Commadore-64 could have run circles around them.

...Rich

As someone who manages a large Exchange mail server, and thousands of Outlook clients, let me offer some suggestions....well make that one suggestion.

Download Mozilla Thunderbird at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Microsoft Outlook is a great email client when coupled with Exchange and connecting via MAPI on the corporate network, or even via RPC over http with Outlook 2003.

It is only a marginal mail client when connecting via IMAP or POP3 mode. It is bloated for that, and is slow in comparisons to most mail clients designed for IMAP/POP3. Outlook was designed for connection via MAPI to Exchange, and has IMAP/POP3 connectivity more as a "well we can do that too" thought.

Mozilla Thunderbird will give you all of the capabilites that Outlook gives you in IMAP mode.

While perhaps not as graphically appealing as Outlook, the speed gain from it is well worth not having quite as pretty of a screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll recommend Avast! anti-virus as well. It's light on system resources and and is one of the better AV's when compared to other mainstream products. It also plays well with Thunderbird.

Latest posts