OT: Two Years until the Analog TV Shut-off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will see if this is just another bluff.

Analog TV signals were supposed cease in 2006, but they didn't. And the worse part is that the TV manufacturers are still selling analog TV's that cannot be converted to pickup the Digital signals. Sounds like a big winfall for the TV manufacturers...People will be stuck buying a new TV or a special converter box provided by the same company that manufactured their Analog TV.

It's kind of funny how the government mandated digital TV and the TV industry decided to throw in HDTV as a defacto standard?

I switched out all my (3) TV's to digital over the past 3 years. I am abit miffed that I have two small portable, battery operated TV's that I use for emergencies when power goes out, so now I will have to replace them too.

...Rich

Waste of money by the government.

There are more important things that could have been done with that money.

Tom

Right Caymen....reclaiming the analog bandwidth so it can be used by low-cost, current-technology police, fire, rescue and other first-responder communications gear is a total waste of money!

Though I agree there may be more important things to spend money on, this particular program isn't that expensive and if it delivers on its promise is clearly not a "total waste of money!"

Me thinks your real problem here, Caymen, is the govt regulation.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
We have survived without being able to use those analog signals for over 50 years. Why the need now. Our police force and fire departments went off the analog spectrum and is not in the upper digital spectrum.

We need the analog for police and fire? Give me a break.

Tom

It will not happen anywhere near the two year date.

I am not saying it won't happen, I think it will. But not for a LONG time off.

For one simple reason, not all communities will be able to see the new vs. the old. There will be communities that are at least 10 years off from having the required equipment to make the change.

Caymen says: Give me a break...

Well here it is...

Not only will first-dibs in this newly reclaimed spectrum go to fire and rescue, but other areas of the spectrum will be auctioned off to generate US Treasury funds, and greate a land-grab that will create new consumer products, businesses, and jobs.

In many ways the govt is bulldozing the old and ineffective to create the new.

Read on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only will first-dibs in this newly reclaimed spectrum go to fire and rescue, but other areas of the spectrum will be auctioned off to generate US Treasury funds, and greate a land-grab that will create new consumer products, businesses, and jobs.

The Fair Tax will do more for the Economy than Digital TV will ever do.

Tom

I don't see the point, and I am an Electrical Engineer. What this appears to me as being was digital TV manufacturers, trade groups, satillite broadcasters and digital cable suppliers got to a few politicians and put some money in their campaign coffers to do this.

The good news is this won't affect DirectTv, Dish, or Digital Cable subscribers at all. The only people who are affected are those that use rabbit ears to watch programming.

What this will do, however, is create ANOTHER subsidy to "the poor" who now can't afford to replace their 52" projection TV with one that is digital ready, so the Goberment will have to step in and either buy a vot... er new TV or subsidize cable TV (and you know it won't be BASIC or even BASIC+).

Caymen says:
The Fair Tax will do more for the Economy than Digital TV will ever do.

So you are saying our government should stop doing those things that are as important as other things....meaning they focus only on the most important things. That would totally grind Washington to a halt as everyone figures out what is the single most important thing.

TJR

I don't see the point, and I am an Electrical Engineer. What this appears to me as being was digital TV manufacturers, trade groups, satillite broadcasters and digital cable suppliers got to a few politicians and put some money in their campaign coffers to do this.

You see it the way I do. It is now an "incentive" to buy a new TV. Lets get the government to mandate a new fuel energy and by 2010, gasoline will no longer be available.

We can then sell the gasoline we no longer are able to buy to special intrests. It will create a new economy for those fortunate few that can tap into it.

So you are saying our government should stop doing those things that are as important as other things....meaning they focus only on the most important things. That would totally grind Washington to a halt as everyone figures out what is the single most important thing.

Nope, never said that. What I am saying is quit letting those that line your pockets to decide on what needs changed and change the things that need changing. We a fair tax, everyone benefits from it. Having to buy a new TV to recieve the new signal the only winners are Best Buy, Circuit City, HH Gregg, to name a few, cable companies, and those that get to use the new "old" signals. The person having to buy the new TV gets hundreds of dollars removed from their pockets.

I guess there are too many people like my parents that have TV's for 20+ years. Got to get those old TV set out of houses and into the dump.

Forget what a fair tax could do for the economy, buth here in the USA and overseas exports, the citizans in the USA both rich and poor. It will also help corporations since they will no longer have to calculate and file corporate tax's.

Instead, we get to watch "My Name is Earl" in life like quality and sound while we get to watch the news about tanother company moving to China.

Tom

I don't completely agree with that statement.

Companies not even based in the USA decide on what laws are passed.

Tom

Caymen asks:
How are we not going to allow it?

There is nothing today that my govt or large companies are doing today that really bothers me. I signed the petition at fairtax.org, I wrote my congressman, but beyond that, I don't feel that compelled to march in the streets, etc.

By and large I think our govt is doing a fine job and the job that I want them to be doing. Sure, there are things that I wish were different, but not so much so that I lose sleep over them, and clearly not so much that I soapbox on a website about them. If I ever felt the need to do that, I would figure out a way to do something that mattered more.

TJR

Sure, there are things that I wish were different, but not so much so that I lose sleep over them, and clearly not so much that I soapbox on a website about them.

That is called "a grassroot movement". Many people have no idea what the fair tax is. Without people taking about it, they would never hear about it. Compain not because you think they are doing bad, you complain because they can do better.

Tom

This won't affect most people, since the analog sets will still work with cable TV and satellite converters. There are few people left who use rabbit ears.

Nelson, there are a lot more of them than you seem to realize--particularly among the elderly. And you know the power they wield with Congress. For that reason alone, I suspect the 2-year deadline won't be met...