OT-vinyl paint anyone? -OT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use vinyl paint like on a seat? Is it permanent? Boat seat? Can you tell it's not natural or that it doesn't look good? Do you have any recommended brand? Also....wouldn't this be the perfect fix for mold that can't be removed? Thanks

The paint on a soft flexible surface will crack and peal eventually... on hard plastics it is great. and using an adhesion promoter first is the best.....

BUT on soft stuff, you may want to dye the stuff, IT will last a lot longer...

Todd Z

I have used vinyl paint on boat seats.3 years in the sun and it has not peeled . I do not remember the brand but I bought it at OVERTONS . COM !! I have also seen entire car interiors painted with a automobile vinyl paint and it looked so good that I did not believe it was painted !!

I believe it would cost you less to just have the seats recovered when you consider material, time and labor to paint or stain them. I am not sure of your area but I live in Ft. Lauderdale, a heavy boating area, and there are affordable (cheap) boat upholstery places all over the place. Some will even drive their van to your boat and do the work on the spot. If you want to save some money unbolt all the seats, panels and bolsters and take them into the shop. It is usually just a few screws holding everything in. While you have it all out it would also be very easy to replace any carpeting and check the flooring for weak spots.

I got excellent results w/Duplicolor vinyl and leather paint on 2 of my 911s- they had the linen color leather upholstery and the driver's seat wore badly. I sprayed them both and had no problems- paint did not crack and wore pretty well. I sprayed one of them again just before I sold it and it made the sale- new looking seats in a car w/58K miles....:cool: