OT: Wireless Adaptor Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Koback

Reaction score
A question to all the knowledgable people out here. I'm wanting to hook my PS2 up for online gaming using my cable modem. I know I'm going to need a wireless router for the modem and a wireless adaptor for my PS2. I can't seem to find an adaptor though. The local video game place had one for $80, but I'm not going to pay that much for the amount of time I'm gonna spending playing online. I can get a router for about $20 which I don't mind spending, but the adaptor is a little rediculous in my opinion. Any input on where I can purchase relatively cheap? I've also been told that any wireless adaptor will work as long as it has an ethernet plug in like the one on my PS2. Is that true? Any help is appreciated.

MK ..... The "other" Mark

Just did a quick search on E-Bay. Lots of wireless stuff to choose from.

You may want to go look there and see if any of it is what you are after.

www.tigerdirect.com has lots of stuff cheap.

Should be a slam dunk for not much money. If it is only for the PS2, I doubt that you need real high (125k) bandwidth. I would imagine 50k would be plenty.

Ebay should also be your friend.

What we did with the Xbox is put the router and modem in the living room with all the electronics. So the Xbox is hard wired and I got a $30 wireless card for my computer. Much better and much more reliable than a wireless adapter for a game system. Just a thought and it could save you some money.

I've also been told that any wireless adaptor will work as long as it has an ethernet plug in like the one on my PS2. Is that true?

Yes. You want what's called a wireless ethernet bridge. Since the Xbox/PS2 don't have true wireless adaptor capability, you have to use a bridge. It basically allows you to add wireless to any device with an ethernet port. They're not as popular as regular adaptors, so they tend to be a bit more expensive.

In my living room, I have a Tivo, a PC, and an Xbox, all needing wireless access. Rather than buy a wireless adaptor for each individual device, I took an old 5-port switch that I had lying around, bought a wireless bridge for $60, and plugged it into the uplink port on the switch. Then I just wired every device in the living room into the 10/100 ports on the switch, so they all go through the bridge to my wireless router. Saved me a lot of money.

Joey and Jeff C both have the right idea.... this is probably the most economical route.

Wireless routers are dirt cheap, but getting the connection may be a little expensive. Probably cheaper to put the modem and router near the x-box and run the PC on wireless. I bought a USB 802.11g adapter for my laptop the otherday for about 10.00 after rebates.

Latest posts