Over Drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Cueto 2

Reaction score
Guys, just asking how the OD works in ST? I'm little bit confused on it. Before I have had a Toyota Corona Exsior with OD on it, i only put it on when i reached about 80 KM/H and its give me extra boost on my wheels. Is it the same with ST? I didnt tried it yet on my trac, i dont have much time to explore it, since i am out of the country. Hope somebody have experiences in their OD.

Thanks

Randy

The ST has the OD normally on.....

There is no need to take it off unless you hill climbing or towing where the transmission is hunting for a gear...

Just leave it the way it is and your fine...

Todd Z

yes, od off means you canceled it. On shows nothing.

If you got the owners manual for the Trac, it does tell you how to use it per Fords recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually turn my OD off around town since it is very hilly where I live and I don't have to ride the brakes as much.

Just took a look at my owners manual. Heres what it says:

Turn off OD when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer towing, and when engine breaking is required.

I've always turned off O/D when I'm driving around the city and I turn it back on when i hit the highway.

Why would you want to break your engine?

Not sure how turning off the overdrive would break the engine-- maybe if you turned it off going 200MPH, the resulting lower gear ratio would over-speed the engine and throw a rod?

no, He means you can use the OD off to slow your engine down...instead of riding the breaks all the time. Johnny O and shaunT...good for you!

it helps when driving under 45 to have OD off, and helps with fuel ecomnomy.

Using the Od off to slow the engine down is like putting into 4th gear instead of using 5th all the time..or from a higher gear to a lower gear....that's my example.

I do that when coming off hills.

10-4 ydnar ;)

Last edited by a moderator: