overdrive light blinking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have it LOOKED AT ASAP !!!!!!!!!

Todd Z

Thanks for quick response, not experiencing any slippage yet & do not know what 2-3 Flare means. Putting in shop on Mon. 26th. what could I expect & should I not drive truck. Thanks later mikeg.

The most "common" problem is the "2-3 flare". The RPM's actually go up slightly when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. It can do this without giving you a flashing O/D light though. When the O/D lights flash, it means there is something definately wrong with the tranny and it's time to get it looked at ASAP. As for driving it? That is up to you. It could leave you stranded.

Take it in soon...before you know it...you won't have overdrive and you will be feathering the gas to get it into the next gear. Your gas mileage will plummet.

Guys, unfortunately, they have been using these trannys for years, and will probably for many more. If there hasn't been a class-action yet, there probably won't be.;)

I read a tsb a while back that ford had a problem with the transmission fluid from the factory. You had to take it back and have an additive put in to correct it. _Ron

don't worry too much and take to more than one place for estimates. We were told by 2 shops it needed a $2000.00 rebuild then another shop fixed it for $35. ( a sensor or something I don't remember...)

Strnge thing is I know and have known, many that have the same trans in their explorers. They never had any problems. Why so many problems in the trac?

I've wondered the same thing Fast Eddie. Same engine, same transmission and about the same vehicle weight. So what's the difference? Might just be the drivers who have come to believe that the word Sport on the side of their truck means it's really some sort of Sports vehicle. Or is it that many lift their Trac and put on larger tires which require more torque for some level of performance and that is over stressing the tranny. Who knows for sure.

Good news on my end, took it to ford dealership, they found 3 codes noted. The mechanic was on the ball questioning the 3 codes at the same time, seemed weird to him. He found the data connection to tranny was very wet, he cleaned & added diealectic grease to connection & check engine light went out & o/d light no longer blinks,the cost was $139.99.

Want to thank Todd Z & Stonemiser for quick response to my problem as well as all the members who added info.