Overdrive units

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Burger

Reaction score
Is there a company that makes an overdrive unit that you mount between the automatic transmission and the differential? I have seen them for other trucks. They bolt to the rear of the transmission. The truck is a 2003 model two wheel drive. It runs fine with no problems but I hate the engine turning high RPMs and the poor gas mileage.

I think 5th gearOD in our tracs is ratio of .60. If you have the 4;10 rear you can change it to a lower number for all highway use. You will have to be light on the pedal on take off and city driving. you would loose the torque multiplication and be required more pedal. Especialy if you are loaded. That will burn more gas. You could also go to a larger tire diameter. That will lower your rpms on the highway. Then you still will have the city and loaded issue of needing more pedal to accellerate. Trade off.

You can get a xcal programer from one of our sponsers for an economy tune. That burns more gas in the city also. Unless you are a feather foot on the gas.

5th in our tracs is .75:1, don't understand the poor gas Miliage some people have.

I have all the mods, Run 100% syn fluids, make 209 RWHP,am two wheel drive.

Overinflate my tires maybe 4 lbs and get 22/18 no problem.

Thanks for the replies. My truck is completely stock and you are correct that 5th is overdrive. I was referring to an additional unit to actually underdrive the engine. Gas mileage is at best 18 mph on the road with no load. Will check on Gearvendors. Again, thanks.