overhead console add in

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
I want to add in the ovwe head console in my 2001 ST..I just wanted to know if any one is done this before and what the work involved..If anyone has done this please post..thanks

I want to do this, also! On Ebay, I don't see a console that specifically says its for a Sport Trac. Will any model for a Ford vehicle work? How do you know which ones will work (and what model years)?

Also, does any member know of a place in Westchester county (New York) that will do this type of installation? I'm a little afraid of trying it myself.

Did a quick search, found a few listed..

2002 Console Ford Explorer Sport OVERHEAD, TAN, W/ COMPASS 05M050 $65 (Code 5965518-8771235)

This was the average affordable price. Many listed at $90 to $100. I personally think that is a bit high.

Jay and CindyG. I installed a overhead console in mine this past summer. I love it! If either of you need any assistance, feel free to drop me a msg (email plz).

(I would inquire to see if you are getting the temperature sensor and mounting bracket and wiring harness - the bracket and harness are necessary - the sensor can be added later (it's about $19 at Ford).

For now, I have linked you to an eBay search for "explorer overhead console". You are looking for one from a ##-## Explorer ---(I have to find the actual years)---. There are two types - one with the sunglass holder/garage door opener and one with the sunroof control. It's up to you which you prefer to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, not sure what the years are (I think 95-01) but a console that is shaped like the one below will definitely work.

One of this shape, I couldn't tell you for sure if it would fit or not. But the one's that I've seen added to Tracs are from Explorers ('96, '97, etc). Go with a console (link above posted at 12:23) and you'll be safe.

BTW, Oscar Lopez's project tutorial on the installation quotes the mounting bracket @ $12. And Ford temperature sensor part # is f8712a647aa.

And as price goes... find one cheap on eBay. Junk yards do want a lot for them (that is WHEN they have them). I bought mine from LKQ Southeast (they have some all around the nation) for about $50.00. AND THAT WAS OVERPRICED! Lol. But I wanted it, hehe. $15-$45 is what you should pay for a decent one. Good luCK!

Link to LKQ Southeast-->

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts