Oxygen Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Auberson

Reaction score
Anyne ever replaced ther oxygen sensors. Can you give me a little advice, help etc where they are both located? My check engine light is on and Autozone guy check code and tle me it was the oxygen sensor.

I'm not sure of there is a way to determine which sensor while on the vehicle, but of there is, do that first.

Follow the exhaust from the exhaust manifold back, you'll see them.

i thought there was one under the hood. I know there is on on the Cat. convertor. Maybe there is more thatn one on the exhaust. I was going to buy both replace one at a time. If it needs two, no big deal.

I didn't get teh code. He told me that it was reading both sensos which is usually the problem with the msss air flow sensor. Not sure if that is the DPFE or not. I had an after market sensor on it so i replaced it with the stock one. Problem went away for about 3 hrs

then check engine light came back on.

just found a post by Brian. do search on Rough idle/ stall cold by Brian. This is a symptom of the problem but it idels rough after warm as well.

There are three or four (I don't remember), but they are all in the exhaust, which runs from the exhaist manifold to the back of the truck. There is one each on each side, pre cats, and one post cat, I believe.

before you replace your oxygen sensors check the vacum elbow up nead the front of the engine, search for it on the forums here, cheapest fix can be done for about 3 bucks, just get a small 90 degree copper fitting and put to small pieces of heater core hose on it, it'll last forever instead of the crummy ford elbow

ABSOLUTELY check the elbow. I'll bet you dinner that is your issue...

Here are some pictures to guide you.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Just to give you some tech knowledge on this specific issue.

You probably got a Code of 171 or a 174. It comes back as "Lean Bank Left Side". As a result, most shops replace the O2 sensor as they feel it is defective. The truth of the matter is, it is perfect and doing it's job. With the vacuum hose being defective (hole in the underside in almost every case), the bank is in fact lean. You are getting more air than you should, thus the fuel to air ratio is off considerably.

You have four O2 sensors, if you start swapping them out on a whim you will find you will have a VERY expensive parts swapping event. And more than likely, it is a five dollar hose....

I got the same codes. Turned out to be my cheap gas I had just bought. Went back to my regular place...no more engine light.

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.