P0196, my first problem code, need advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Got in the Trac a little bit ago to get some cigars and the the little engine symbol was lit up. So I thought, why not plug in the XCal3 to see whats up, It said it was the oil temperature sensor. Obviously I can't take it the dealer yet. Is it safe to drive for a day or two? After reading the code, will the XCal3 turn engine light off? Little help here please. BC :eek:nline:

Yes the xcal can reset the code. Not sure how to. Never used that funtion on mine. SCT has a downloadable manual. I didnt know the gen2 had oil temp sensor. Gen 1 only has pressure indicator. Does you oil pressure indicator read low.?

No OP gauge in dash, just idiot lights. I scrolled through the set-up menu in the dash and it said oil life and pressure ok. Don't know.... BC

Last November my check engine light came on after driving through some very heavy slush that spashed up a lot. When checked with an OBD code reader it said engine oil temp. I reset with code reader and have not seen check engine code again.

The check engine light came on instantly when the slush hit the oil pan and or oil filter of a warm engine.