P0442 code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorne Day

Reaction score
I just had the P0442 code return after Auto Zone reset it for me. We cycled the gas cap several times to free it up. I see that there are a number of things that could cause this. Is a new gas cap the next step? I don't even know where to look for most of the other items listed for this fault.

Thanks

It means that your computer thinks it's mid to late 1960's muscle car from Oldsmobile. :lol:

Sorry, I just could not resist the 442 connection.

...Rich

I would remove the gas cap, and clean the cap gasket and the filler neck with a rag with cleaner on it....

Also check 3 hoses.... One is under the hood next to the radiator with a green cap on it.. IT has been known to rub the ac line or the radiator and cause a hole and a small leak..

Second is to check the hoses on the drivers side in the rear wheel well under the gas cap. There are several elbows that can come off...

The third is under the spare tire, Drop the spare and look up by the bracket that holds the cable.... There is a hose that runs across the plate, IT can come off...

Todd Z

I hade my trac do that to me once. The filler neck where the gas cap is screwed on had a small crack on it. I guess it cracked when i was pumping gas. I put some JB Weld on it and then sanded it down. Light turned off and no more problems. You might wana check that.