P0442 Code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My check engine light turned on the other day and I pulled straight into an Advance Auto Shop to find out what the problem was. The code P0442 popped up saying "EVAP EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM LEAK (SMALL)" The guy asked if I had the key in the on position while I filled up and I told him I did last time I filled up with gas, "my girlfriend wanted to listen to her favorite song lol." He erased the code and told me not to do it again and all is fine. Well yesterday the check engine light came back on and I pulled into another Advanced Auto Shop today and a different guy asked the same thing and unscrewed my gas cap and screwed it back on then erased the code. Is there something seriously wrong besides a gas cap problem? Do I need new fuel hoses or something? Also I just got a 6" suspension lift about a week ago, does that have anything to do with a P0442 code? Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have a bad fuel cap. Since you mentioned the lift, possibly you have a leak on your filler hose.

Tom

Latest posts