Paging P1ps... and anybody else with info.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
I was wondering if the picture below (hopefully I posted it right) really was the result of a bad camber. I have the exact same tire wear on my ST. The last time I was at the dealer, they told me I needed Lower Ball joints. But after some researching, I am betting that it is the camber. Did getting a camber kit fix your problem, or anybody else who had a problem similar to this? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Tommy

[Broken External Image]:

Could be bad camber, toe or a suspension part...

Have your truck checked first... If you need the camber kit then go for it...

You may not need it....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd Z,

The dealer mentioned ball joints and quoted me $1000. I will look into just about everything before dropping that kind of check. Thanks for the info. Should I take it to the dealer to look at it, or like a Firestone/alignment shop?

Tommy

I would not go to the dealer, they charge a lot more for their hourly labor than a regular shop.

And an alignment shop might have a more experienced tech (I said "might")

It pulls a little to the left, but not too bad. I do however have a regular glub, glub, glub with the rotation of the wheels. But I am wondering about toe. I don't know much about that. What is toe and what does it do?

Tommy,

camber is the vertical alignment of the wheel whereas toe is the horizontal, or straightness, front to back, as it rolls. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, toe out is when the front of the wheel is further out than the rear and causes the inside of the tire to wear. Toe in is front of the tire in and rear out and causes the outside of the tire to wear - clear as mud??

If yours is a toe issue going by your picture, with the steering wheel straight, assuming the other side is good, the right tire should appear to be rolling straight as you look down the side of the vehicle from the rear and the left may appear to be pointeing left.

Camber and toe will both be checked with a good alignment. They will tell you if you need a camber kit at that time.

Hope this helps ya.

grump

You rock Grump!!! That explained it perfectly. I just need to get down to the shop and get it taken care of. Thanks for the info.

Tommy

Latest posts