Paint Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 2002 Deep Wedgewood Blue ST, purchased brand-new from the dealer. The paint on the hood has started to crack severely.

My local auto body guy says there's got to be a story (bad paint job, etc.) - he suggested I take it to the dealer to see what they think. He said if they won't help me, contact Ford directly.

It is out of warranty (98,000 miles), but it's only approx. 4 1/2 years old. It was garaged for the first 2 1/2 years.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and gotten any satisfaction from Ford ?

There has been past reports of dark colored ST's cracking paint. Its too bad that you are out of warranty. I dont know if it was a bad batch or what caused this. Maybe another member can help you out more in this.

swallman, my ST hasn't done this but I have a 98 accord that had a paint issue. Are the cracks under the clear coat? If so, I would think Ford should still cover the paint. Honda covered my repairs as the car was never painted after the factory and they recognized it was an issue with the darker colored cars. I would push Ford, nicely, to repaint the ST.

Good luck.

marc

I just noticed the same thing happening to mine in the last couple of weeks, It is also wedgewood and I have 103,000 on it, I am going to the dealer today to see what they say.

UPDATE: dealer said thy coud do nothing for me and gave the customer servie numbrer, I will call but I don't expect them to do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, let me know what the dealer says. In this day and age, there should be no reason for this paint to do this after only 4 1/2 years.

Yep I have the same problem. :angry: I contacted Ford about it they said that the paint was only covered under the bumper to bumper (36,000) unless it was caused by rust (100,000):eek:. My Trac started around 70,000 miles. It is a 2002-Black now it has 91000 miles. Maybe if this site can contact ford about everyones issue we could get somewhere. The paint started cracking under the clear coat... and now you can feel and see the crack in the clear coat. It Really looks bad. It is like that all over my hood and it has started on my fenders.:blink:

I would try to find some more people that have had this issue. I was told that the primer failed from the factory, it didn't adhere properly when initially applied and caused the cracks to appear years later. I would keep searching for others and speak with Ford.

Good luck.

marc

2001 Black Sport Trac with 85k miles on it, hood looks terrible, cracking, etc. one paint place said it had been painted with some cheap paint, but then how did they match that to the color of the truck so good? the rest of the truck looks great.

im debating, do i get a new hood and paint just it, or paint the whole truck or just paint the current hood and hope for the best that it matches the rest of the vehicle ?

Jackt, I'm in Atlanta, not too far from you, have you started to get quotes? If i paint the truck, im keeping the black color since I wont have to do the doorways and under the hood.

My 1989 Ford Taurus had the same problem. It was dark red and all the paint cracked and peeled from the hood. Ford would not do anything about the problem.

If you are in Atlanta, do not use ATL Customs unless you have 6 months to be without your ST.

Many Black and Deep Wedgewood Blue STs have had this problem, especially the earlier ones. I believe there is a TSB on it, but what happens is you get the "crows feet" cracks on your hood and often on you roof, as well. I've had this problem for over two years now on my Job 1 2001, but Ford won't do anything about it, unless your willing to foot the bill, as always.

Have same problem with black 2002 trac, had hood painted by ford when trac was 10 month old, now have 60,000 and paint is cracking t\o rest of vehicle. Ford gave me the run around for 3 months and refused to do anything; said truck was out of warranty. I took ford to small claims court and they are paying for a paint job, I pay $500.00 and they pick up the rest of the bill. you need plenty of documentation TSB [search this site], pictures of defective paint, even better documentation if truck was painted at some time under warranty, down load TSB from [ http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ], u need a couple of written estimates from body shops with their comments about what they think is wrong with the paint [even in court ford plays stupid about the whole situation, even with documentation] only thing they stated that vehicle is out of warranty. screw ford because they are screwing there customers, and they know it. only thing that scares them is when you mention court .write a letter to ford customer service stating if they don’t take care of the problem u will take them to court .truck goes to the body shop this week. I love my truck but will never buy another ford because of the way they treated me.

Good Luck

2001 Island Blue, mine started cracking 3 months out of warranty. Ford said it could not help me. This is the number one reason I will never buy another Ford! It just does not make good financial sense to buy a vehicle from a company that I will have to have repainted just out of warranty. And they wonder why sales are in the toilet.

ALL FACTORY PAINT SUCKS!!!

It is just laid on there enough to get you out of warranty, and maybe a few thousand miles,

or a long, hot, summer beyond!

I used to do automotive detailing, and I've seen all types of paint jobs come in to the

shops that I worked for, for the same reason.

One primer coat, one base coat, and one clear coat, if you are lucky!

It all has to do with E.P.A. regulations since the 1980's! (Just when we all noticed

the shitty paint jobs/clear coats peeling!)

Silver, Blue, Black, and all of the Burgundy/Reds will peel after several years!

It's not our lack of proper paint mainteniance, but a cheap, E.P.A.-Regulated Formulation

of the paint!!!;)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My ST is 4.5 years old and has the same paint problem. I got the same run around from ford about the warranty being expired and they never heard of this problem from other customers. My ST had the hood painted while it was under warranty for the same problem. I'm thinking of going to court to get this resolved. If it looks like this now, I wonder what it will look like in anothr 3 or 4 years. If it has any paint by that time.