Paint To Match Interior Trim: Painting Gauge Pods

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Originally I had planned on doing a fiberglass double gauge pod for my AFR and Boost Gauges in preperation for the Saleen Supercharger.

I bought the universal pods and an extra driver's side a-pillar. The more I look at finished products, the less I like it. It jut seems really "Ricer" to me. However, you can't beat the location for visibility and ease or service.

So I then decided to use some kind of single pod, universal system that could be expanded for future gauges. Rather than making a whole new pod. I got the inspiration from Speed of Sound gauges. While none of there gauge pods work, Vumaxx makes a similar looking pod called The Apillar-Kup. It's perfect for my needs now and in the future.

This issue is that my a-pillars are tan, like all other gen2 STs.

What's the best color matching paint I can get and where? I want to paint the pods to match my tan pillars.

I don't know if anyone makes a matching paint since the original interior parts are not painted. The color is molded into the plastic and vinyl pieces when they are manufactured.

I would suggest that you take a smaller piece of the pillar trim into a store that sells a large selection of automotive paints and do an eye-ball match.

A better choice would be some Vinyl paint made for interiors. They are more of a dye, but that might depend upon what the gauge pods are made of?

A more expensive route would be to take the part to an automotive paint store that can mix the paint to match with electronic paint matching equipment....but I don't know what they would charge for such a small amount to paint a few gauge pods???

Also, since the pillar trim is a non-glossy finish so you will find most paints are going to be glossy, thus interior vinyl paint might be better or if mixed, it would need some flatening agent so it would not be glossy???

...Rich

Not sure about Upstate NY pricing, but I can get a spray can of color matched vinyl paint for about $30. And the store I've used has three different gloss levels for vinyl. As with any paint project, quality prep work and quality paint should equal good results!

It's a perfect match. I'll show the pics when the truck is back. Brenspeed is installing them. All I had to do was select them and have them painted.

I sent the paint with the pods to Brenspeed in case they scratch the pods putting them in. Otherwise I would post it right now lol.

I'll get it to you next week.

I thought the same need but went with the Saleen Twin Pod because I liked the Chrome rings and it sets above the Nav system perfect and the pods match the dash color perfect plus looks OEM with the rest of the SVT theme.

the link is close except mine boost to 10 and reds at 9 - 9 is where i am tuned to anyhow and the second pod is for charge temp

Last edited by a moderator:
have pics of how they turned out? I was told by the manufacturer that they would not fit another appkication because they would be point up at the ceiling to much.

Oh now you should know me by now - have tools will modify is the motto of the day - i will post pictures when the exhaust gets done so you can see the pipes and the headers "if they fit"

Boost will not be 0 at 12 O'clock because the gauge doesn't fit that way. I don't care. I'm running under 10psi so the gauge won't move much lol.

The pods adjust up, down and angle.

I plan on doing a nice triple pod that is molded to the pillar one of these days. I'd like to run a couple Interceptor gauges for fuel pressure and trans temp.