Paint Touch Up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Torres

Reaction score
Opened the garage door this morning and looked out my back window and all was clear. Started to back out then . . . BAM! Apparently the roll up door only went 3/4 of the way and while it looked clear there wasn't enough clearance and roof line of the Trac took out the 1st panel of the roll up door. Luckily there was no real damage to the Trac just some scratches down to the metal on the top edge of the roof line.

My questions is how to properly repair it. I have the Ford touch up paint for my color and have used it in the past. However all the touch up spots never quite look like the original paint. They always look dull compared to the rest of the paint. How can I get the shiny look back on the touched up spots so that they match the rest of the paint?

I have a bottle of clearcoat touchup...got it at pep-boys...use it after the color touchup dries...works ok...nothing that is brushed on lookes as good as the factory

Yes, I used their pens too. I recommend them. And cover with some clearcoat. And between each coat and after all done wet-sand smooth with really, really fine sandpaper (anyone want to recommend a grit)?

Any thing from 800 grit wet up to 1200 grit should work fine for this. use a circular motion and blend the touch up area with the original paint. Finger tips are an amazing gauge. You'll be able to feel when the touched up area is the same smoothness as the surrounding area!:)