painted body cladding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi people.......i just got back from my local paint and body shop where i asked them if they would give me an estimate on painting my sick gray body cladding. well the guy there told me that he wouldnt recommend painting the stuff because it wouldnt stay on long....something about the plastic having oils in it or something of that nature. my question is, have any of you done this to your cladding?, and if so have you had problems with the paint peeling off? I know ive seen several s/t with the cladding painted online, and not just the 04's and 05's that came with the painted bumpers. seems to me like he may have just not wanted to "waste" his time on quoting me for such a small job, or maybe he's telling the truth. thats why i come to you guys, i always get a good response from here, heck maybe there is even someone out there who is a painter and could tell me. at n-e-rate, please help.....thanks!!!

Many people have painted there plastic trim themselves with paint from local auto stores and they have turned out great. Just use a good adhesive primer.

i painted my cladding. with good prep work and the right paints it will hold. Someone rolled into me yesterday at a light and hit my bumper. There was no chipping of the paint.

Jason

Here's a project on how to paint the cladding. Tom R published this project and he painted his cladding a satin black. I don't know if this is a route you would want to go, but it's an option. I've had several paint and body shop people tell me that it can't be done, as well, just like the response you got. They say it can't be done to look right and last, but obviously that's not true from some of the members here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Krylon "Fusion" paint ( formulated especially to stick to plastic) on both the plastic and metal parts on my ST after wiping everything down with alcohol after a good degreasing cleaner and I have had no problems with peeling.:)

The guy just does not want the responsibility, or does not know how..

There is a 3m plastic parts cleaner, the adhesion promoter, then paint...

mines an 03 also..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

It can be done. Mine was done by a Ford collision center. It's all in how they prep it. They had a DuPont guy come down to see how to prep paint and bake it. I've even got a lifetime warrenty against chipping flaking, etc.

[Broken External Image]:

well.....i have to say, that is what i expected you guys to tell me.....just had to be re-assured i guess. im not sure what route i am gonna take as of yet....i think now that i am more educated on the matter i will take my business on down to another paint shop and see what they say. hopefully i can get a positive response....cause i dont think i want to takle painting it myself....considering i have no where to do it that would remotely be a controlled enviorment that would keep the dirt and stuff out.....cause yall know i live out in tha sticks..........but n-e-who.... thanks for your help guys, i knew i could count on ya!!!

Just happens that I went to the body shop yesterday that I've used before several times (very trustworthy and honest from what I've seen before). I also want to get the cladding painted as well as several other projects. He said that there are supposed to be problems painting the cladding but he had done alot of them and had never had any problems before. He did say that he couldn't really warranty the paint but he didn't think it would ever be a problem and he would work with me if it ever was. So, going by what he said, I'm going to have it painted, but it might be worth just keeping an eye out for problems....he didn't seem to think there would be any and I'm sure he wouldn't steer me wrong.

Good luck with yours.

Chet

Latest posts