Painting stock step bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen B

Reaction score
I recently purchased some stock step bars (Thanks Scott C.) and they need a little touching up. What type of paint would be best...good old Rustoleum? Am I correct in assuming that the end caps and step pad are removable?

Any help is helpful. thanks

I used Bed liner spray.

I did Sand them, and use a Prep cleaner to get off all the oils.

Got the spray at walmart. Forget what brand

Sal, how long have you had them painted with the bed liner spray? Any problems with rust? I'm considering painting my own sometime in the next couple months.

I had Line-X do mine. It has been done since the beginning of June and so far it has held up great. I paid around $150 to get the steps and plastic cover pieces done.

Dan

Hey Bengalsfan,

Do you have any pictures of the Line-X sprayed onto your truck? I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I was just wondering how it looks and how it stands up to daily abuse.

thanks,

Scott

Just got mine back from being sandblasted and powdercoated and they look SWEET! Powdercoated the bars gloss black and did the step pads with a satin gloss. Yes the end caps come off, spray the bolts with WD-40 or PB BLASTER to loosen them up first. Good Luck!!

Consider Bumper Coating from Urethane supply co. They have the original Grey and I'm sure they have black. I painted my bars and fender flares with it. Much tougher than the original paint.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts