painting trim....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray moyer

Reaction score
hey guys... been reading up on the project to paint the exterior trim...

would anyone have pointers regaurding to painting it??? not that good at painting so yea... any tips would be helpful!:)

Preparation is the key!!!!!!

Make sure you clean all the plastics very well. When I first painted the plastics on the truck with cans of spray paint I washed the truck, then dried it with and electric leaf blower. Taking note in getting in all the cracks, crevices and seams to get all the water out. I also used simple green to clean the plastics themselves very well, and finished with a light acetone wipe down.

You will also need adhesion promoter. Bulldog is a popular brand at most local auto parts store and hardware stores. Then you will need the paint and depending on the look you want a clear coat. I originally used a basic paint Nd did not clear and it came out great, it did fade abit later on but still it looked good.

I have since taken off all the cladding and re-sprayed it with a professional gun. This however is not needed to get the job done. You can leave the plastics on and just tape off the entire truck using painters tape (blue tape) and either newspaper and or brown wrapping paper.

I guess there really isn't anything else. Just take your time and have patience. I did my truck in 1 long day with the cans, 2-3 weeks with the spray gun.

Good luck and feel free to email me with any questions if you have any....:D:D:D

Paul H

Keep us posted on your progress because, after all, most of us have the same thoughts from time to time.

[Broken External Image]:

hey jerry i will

should be interesting...

and thanks paul for the email... i will probably call u sometime with some questions tho...

hmm... put my painting to the test haha

lol ur probably right...actually im sure u are... urs is done haha

er... yea... howd u paint the area near the front of the bed??? the part that is kinda tucked under the body???

cuz i think ima do what u said u did.. and just paint it on the truck

I just did mine. Took me about 5 days. Way too hot down here in florida to do everything in one day. It would probably be easier to take the side pieces off. They came off very easy. Just follow the member project. Trust me, very easy. But for the rear bumper, instead of taking off the plastic cover, I took the entire bumper off at the mounts - 4 bolts total. Take a look at the before and after pics in my member file. I also used the truck bed coating by duplicolor on the step rails. Everything turned out nice. I just it holds up over time.

:)f urs is the yellow trac... i saw earlier.. it did look really nice man.

hmm... well heck... it looked harder than i guess it really is to remove all the trim...

but i have a few days off work soon... SOOOOO

think i may use the my employee discount and buy me some paint... and... go for it!

Yeah, it's definetly very easy to remove the cladding. That was probably the easiest part for me. The front bumper you'll have to use some tape and visqueen for that. But that was no problem either. Actually my front bumper turned out the best. But like they all said, just make sure you prep everything really good and get some good coats on it with the adhesion promoter.

of course! the promoter!!!

lol i wont ever forget that lol

i was painting some stuff under the hood... and forgot to use it... yea....

pealed and flaked.. and ya... lol

but definately wont forget that!

what did u do for the rails??? prep wise??? just cleaned?

well, because they say not to use the truck bed coating on plastic, I was a little concerned since some parts of the factory step rails are plastic. I contacted duplicolor, and I was told to just spray the plastic parts with the adhesion promoter before spraying with the truck bed coating. But I just went ahead and sprayed the entire rails with the adhesion promoter. I first cleaned them really well and lightly sanded the meatal parts, then sprayed. I didn't remove the step pads, I just removed the entire rail from underneath the truck and sprayed everything all togther. Came out very nice. I should have a close up pic of them in my file. I really like how they turned out.

alright thanks bro...

hmm... ill definately be doing the steps too... would be kinda pointless to not do them lol haha taking everything else off so why not...

now just gotta get the stuff and a couple free days

Latest posts