Parking Brake Wont Disengage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kerr

Reaction score
Got in my truck this morning to go to work and found that I can't go anywhere. Seems like my parking brake wont disengage. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm going to take the wheels off and pound the drums with a hammer and see if that does anything.

First make sure the pedal is coming up, if not, pull the handle and lift the pedal by hand.

Second, rather than kill yourself with removing the drums, I suggest the following.

Under the truck you will see where the cables (near the rear of the truck on both sides) go into the cable housing then into the drums.

Get some vice grips and clamp the bare cable about 1/2 inch in front of where it goes into the housing.

Then, take a hammer and tap the vise grips in the direction of the rear of the truck. This will PUSH the cable into the housing (which is probably where it is stuck) and allow the pads to relax. You may have to undo and and re-grab the cable a few times as the cable moves in. If you grab out like 2 inches and try often the cable will just bend, so do the 1/2 inch or so at a time.

Then either lube the hell out of them or replace the rear cable assemblies.

Thanks. I'll give that a try in the morning then. If I can get it loose I will remove the drum and spray everything with brake parts cleaner.

more than likely the shoes are rusted to the inside of the drums. did it rain recently, or did you park the truck wet and set the brake?

the easiest way to break them free is just put it in reverse and give it some gas... they will pop free. might be a little abrupt, but should work ok.

Yes, it rained like crazy yesterday and I was plowing through flooded streets. I'll give that a try first then.

It is not recommended but some members have just put it in drive and floored it to break them free.....

Can try 4WD low for extra torque..

Todd Z

Awesome, thanks guys. Putting in reverse and giving it gas worked out well, it disengaged. Wish I had have know that trick this morning so I didn't have to drive my wife's car into work. I hate not being able to see over the other vehicles like I can in my trac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts