Passenger door power lock intermittently works

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmartin

Reaction score
My 04 passenger power door lock intermittently works. At first I would occasionally hear this du-du-du-du sound when locking or unlocking. What could it be?

Likely the sound of stripped and slipping nylon gears in the lock actuator motor. Usually described as a "buzzing" sound. I've replaced three of four actuators and both front latches since buying my truck used with 46,000 miles in 2009. Door locks are NOT one of Ford Explorer's stronger points.

IF the actuator is the issue this may be of interest:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/door-lock-actuator-motors-identical.426643/

Ok, likely will be that. Sounds like it. Any aftermarket that is good? Anything I should just replace while having it apart? Any videos?

Remove the door panel and see if your faulty actuator has a removable rod. If so, prying the old actuator out of the bracket and replacing it is MUCH easier than complete disassembly. Swap only the black actuator motor. For easier access remove the glass run channel and disconnect the attached wiring clip.

Last edited:
Remove the door panel and see if your faulty actuator has a removable rod. If so, prying the old actuator out of the bracket and replacing it is MUCH easier than complete disassembly. Swap only the black actuator motor. For easier access remove the glass run channel and attached wiring. Here's a Motorcraft actuator that will work IF yours has a removable rod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144073824806?hash=item218b781a26:g:CBUAAOSwJ5hgoTkp
Is there any videos for our vehicles to do this?

Likely the sound of stripped and slipping nylon gears in the lock actuator motor. Usually described as a "buzzing" sound. I've replaced three of four actuators and both front latches since buying my truck used with 46,000 miles in 2009. Door locks are NOT one of Ford Explorer's stronger points.

IF the actuator is the issue this may be of interest:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/door-lock-actuator-motors-identical.426643/
So what are the weak points in the locks?

Not so much the lock cylinders. It's the door latches. They all have a tiny spring that breaks preventing the power locks to lock or unlock. Shine a light into the passenger latch and look for a broken spring. Also look in the bottom of the door for spring remnants when you remove the panel.
https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...hUKEwjnwove-ZXxAhXOAjQIHSZyDzEQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Pretty sure you have a tired actuator if you hear it buzzing.

Not so much the lock cylinders. It's the door latches. They all have a tiny spring that breaks preventing the power locks to lock or unlock. Shine a light into the passenger latch and look for a broken spring. Also look in the bottom of the door for spring remnants when you remove the panel.
https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...hUKEwjnwove-ZXxAhXOAjQIHSZyDzEQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Pretty sure you have a tired actuator if you hear it buzzing.
Yes, from your description, it sounds like the actuator. But shesh, why did I choose to keep the sport trac? Sounds like it was a mistake. It did well the first 100,000 miles. Since crossing over, it is showing its true colors.

Yes, from your description, it sounds like the actuator. But shesh, why did I choose to keep the sport trac? Sounds like it was a mistake. It did well the first 100,000 miles. Since crossing over, it is showing its true colors.
Um...yeah....it's that 100K thing huh? Replace an actuator of buy a new Ranger for $40K and up. Sorry, but I'll keep fixing my ST and live with NO truck payments thank you.

^ Google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo...hUKEwjt8KTijpXxAhVMrZ4KHWkRB50Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA
Still say prying the old actuator from the bracket is a MUCH easier repair. Here to help if I can. LMK.
Just saw this thread and I’m having the same problem on my 05 but on the driver door. It was intermittent at first and would lock halfway but not actually lock. Now it won’t even try to lock or unlock.When I put the key in and turn it it will slip and won’t lock or unlock on occasion. Thoughts? I’m gonna tear into it soon but I wanna know what to look for.

@Have An Upvote

Yours may be as simple as a disconnected or broken plastic connector. Once the door panel is removed, check the connector on the metal rod to the key cylinder. If OK, check ALL other connectors and rods leading to the door latch. Have a strong flashlight handy and be careful around many sharp edges. Keep posted.

My driver door lock has done this for years. The second fob bump always takes care of it. I know when it happens, 'cause of the buzzing noise. When I have to start using the key. I will fix it...;)

@Have An Upvote

Yours may be as simple as a disconnected or broken plastic connector. Once the door panel is removed, check the connector on the metal rod to the key cylinder. If OK, check ALL other connectors and rods leading to the door latch. Have a strong flashlight handy and be careful around many sharp edges. Keep posted.
I replaced the actuator and it works like a charm! Went ahead and replaced both front doors and got new clips for the door panel to snap on. Aside from having to buy a punch for the rivets and figuring out how to mount the new one it was a pretty easy job.

With mine, I would start it, walk down and get the mail. When I got back the doors would be locked. After a couple of weeks of this, the battery died. I replaced it, problem solved!

The lock actuators in the Sport Trac just plain suck. I have replaced each door at least 3 times each in my 2010 ST. A couple times in my 2007 also. At least once in my 2001.

The lock actuators in the Sport Trac just plain suck. I have replaced each door at least 3 times each in my 2010 ST. A couple times in my 2007 also. At least once in my 2001.
Sounds like you shouldn't use an OEM part, but an aftermarket part, like Dorman, who makes them better.

Latest posts