PCV and Oil Pan Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I'm having a serious oil leak. This AM, noticed a spot on the ground the size of a basketball. Trac was a full quart low. I traced 2 possibly 3 leaks, but the PVC valve is leaking for sure. Was changed about a year ago by a deal but hasn't leaked until late. Then, from what I can tell is the back side of the oil pan is leaking. I run my finger along the backside and its very its pretty noticeable as well. I have been smelling burning oil for weeks but haven't put the time into it. The PCV is dripping onto the exhaust. Tried tightening oil pan and made about a half to a quarter turn of the back bolts. Looks like RTV is the sealer. Tried tightening the PCV but I can't get a good grip on it. Any one else experience this?

Your best bet would be to pull off the oil pain and reseal it. This shouldn't be too difficult, just make sure you use FORD recommended sealant and torque the bolts to SPEC.

As far as the PCV valve, I don't have enough experience with it to make a recommendation. Perhaps try to replace it as well?

Ill pick some up at the dealer if possible. The PCV value ill try to, my fear is the cover is cracked.

Well the PCV valve is very loose. Wiggling freely, but hoses are connected. I'm not sure if the main seal on the rear of the engine is leaking.

Check the rear main seal too......

Yes the pan is sillycone........

It could also be valve covers. as for the PCV, I have replaced 4 valve covers now as who ever did it the first time BROKE the locking tabs off in the cover and it will NEVER seal.

Todd Z

I can confirm the seal on the PCV is spraying oil everywhere. Running down all over the valve cover so that is a confirmed issue. Now what I can't tell is if the locking tabs are broken. When I had a deal service the PCV at the dealer, it wasn't leaking but I'm hoping that is the issue and not the main seal as well.

I valve covers are leaking ever so slightly, but certainly not the main source. But oil from the PCV is pooling in the valve cover bolt right beneath it. I lost a 1/4 quart this am driving to work.

I agree with Eddie.

First check that your PCV hose is not plugged and operating properly. If it is OK, then you have excessive blow-by and it is an indication that combustion gases are getting past the rings or valve guides/seals.

...Rich

Confirmed the hose was plugged/wrapped. Not sure why but replaced the hose which wrapped around the back and passenger side of the engine. PVC is tight but does wiggle slightly in the valve cover. Is this normal?

I did have a dealer put dye in the system to trace down a possible cause to this. PCV hose was replaced about 8/12 and the PCV replaced 4/12. I've put about 100 miles on it and all is good so far since the repair. Oil was like pudding. Been 8000 since the oil change and always put synthetic 5w30 in.

They did confirm the valve cover is every so slightly leaking but not enough to cause a significant issue.

Latest posts