PCV Elbow (Permanent Fix)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
After reading countless posts regarding the notoriously failing PCV Elbow, I need advice.

Anyone considered using reinforced 5/8" Stainless Braided FUEL or OIL Hose as a PERMANENT fix?

Just a thought, passed 50K and figured I would replace it as a preventative measure.

Rather than spend $30 on the genuine OEM Ford Motorcraft part, is this a viable option?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, once every 50k is not bad service. With the ford replacement, you also get the hose at the rear. The Trac is not unique to oil vapor hose, needing replacement. It has been common on many cars I have owned.

Thanks Eddie. Had to be a reason very few have substituted the OEM part.

If I hadn't had to replace the cracked elbow, I wouldn't have seen the liquid built up in there, which lead me to find that my PCV valve was d-e-d, and replacing the tube setup and the valve only took 10 minutes, so I'm for the OEM piece.

Steve, from what I have read. The new replacment is made from better material. I think there was a report, on this site, from someone in the know. Ford did this around '05 for the replacement. Like many things. Sometimes it takes years before manufactors realize, the part needs to be better...:lol:

Don't think the dealers could survive selling only cars and warranties.

Their profits and bottom line have always come from their Service & Parts Departments.

Thanks Ed, gotta go to the dealer now for a $5 hose in a $25 box. ;)

Steve,

The part # is 4L5Z6758HA. The Motorcraft number is KCV190. And it's the whole assembly, from the rear of the driver's valve cover around to where it connects on the the front of the engine.

Got mine for $21.74 + shipping from site sponsor Torrie.

Thanks Andy. I'll check w/ Torrie @ FastPartsNetwork, if I can navigate their site. Aloha.

Glad to help, Steve. I think it's always worth giving our sponsors first shot for my business.

However, in your case, it might be cheaper to buy it locally, since shipping costs to you from the mainland are probably higher. Let us know where you get the best deal.

Also I have found since I replace mine every 30K that I can spread the 2 coolant lines apart just enough to get the valve out of them and install it and then squeeze the lines back down.....

Saves a lot of mes and time....

JUST be sure your comfortable doing that, I don't want people to try it if your not comfortable..

Todd Z

I'm confused...doesn't the PCV valve come with the metal coolant lines attached already? So if you take the PCV valve out of them and reuse the ones already in there, isn't the new metal hoojit being wasted?

(And again, thanks for that PCV change project; it really did take only a few seconds to pop out and replace, and I'm 6,000 miles strong on the replacement :) )

...and probably something I should consider flushing in the near future, even if it is just repeated draining and refilling. Same with the power steering goodness, and in a few K more miles the transmission fluid...and by that time it might be time to deal with the oil again, maybe. I expect my money's worth out of royal purple (and I don't think I'll be rebuying since its no better than the other "high class" synthetics)

Thanks for the reminder...and I have to install my new parts that will be coming sometime this week. Trac work never ends.

Though I personally would have a harder time stretching and crimping the metal tube than just replacing it :lol: