Performance Increase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Our truck is just about to run out of it's extended warranty, so now I'm will to start looking at some modifications to imporve performance. Basically, I'm trying to add enough performance to justify keeping the truck and not trading it in on something with more power. Here's what I am thinking about. I'd like any and all opinions. (Boy that statement could get me into some trouble!! ;) )

FYI - Our truck is a 2002, 4x2 with a 5-speed manul tranny and a 3" body lift.

1) Tranny - We'd like to swap out the 5-speed and put in a 6-speed but don't know if one is available for our ST. We were thinking that maybe one of the ones sold in the 4.0 mustanges might work. We need a lower gear for towing the boat. Any ideas?

2) More horsepower - Ideally we'd like a super charger but we're not sure if we would gain enough horsepower to justify the decrease in MPG. We've also thought about programming the chip for performance, but with a manual tranny we're not sure if that can really be done. I know that there are also cold-air intakes that might help some. We are already planning for dual exhaust, but know that alone probably won't provide much of a difference. Any comments or other ideas.

We love the truck and don't mind pouring the $$ into it. We are open to any and all suggestions.

I suggest you do similar to what we did. Airaid CAI; Flowmaster 70 series Big Block single-in / duel-out; ZabTech's throttle body; and definately the SCT XCalibrator 2 or newer with the 87 performance & towing tune's; DO NOT put an electric fan in since they are not recommended for towing. Also, consider either a Spec clutch or the new Center Force clutch made specifically for '01-'03 Ford Explorer's with a Hurst Shifter (see project by Ed Molinas, i.e. spaceman). Almost forgot the Scream'n Demon coil pak from Underdog (see project by George C). :D

Did the towing tune make any difference for you? I know the last time I asked, you hadn't used it yet. Are you willing to tell me what the XCal cost you?

kimbro, from what I've read on here, the supercharger isn't all it's cracked up to be. It has to be dialed in perfectly or it ends up causing more problems than it's worth. If you have a reputable shop that does alot of them then I'd say go for it.

Seems the X-Cal2 is the performance increaser of choice for the ST.

As for the tranny swap, not sure if it's been done by anyone on here that hasn't changed out the engine also. Why not go for the V8 swap? It's been done.;)

I still have not used it yet, 87 performance tune works great (better gas milage as long as I shift between 1500 & 2000 rpm) and if that's any indication. I want to make an attempt to tow our boat after we get the new clutch in and the weather warms up a bit.

What gear ratio is your rear end / differential?

How long is your boat?

People keep telling me that our ST isn't built to tow anything as big as a 21' boat because of the size and the Ford Ranger manual tranny. I'm considering putting on bigger front discs (slotted) with 3 piston calipers and putting discs on the rear plus braided stainless steel brake lines.

Rodger,

you mentioned not to do the electric fan if you are towing. Are there any reason why tis should not be done?

I have a 19.8 foot boat, 3000 pds or so and I pulled it with my ST all the time.

I am about to do the electric fan upgrad. Should I not do it?

Jose

Roger.. we've got the 3.73 rear end, non limited slip. The boat is 19'8" long, but she's a heavy thing. It's that big ole EFI 305 that that weighs her down. :lol: He'll tow her OK, where we have problems is on steep launches.

Just my 2 cents... Based on my experience. If you want real horsepower, go for the X-charger but make sure it's tuned properly just like what stonemiser said. Then, if you could change your read end to 4.10 LSD that would be great. Don't have to change your tranny IMHO, but if you do, see if the Tremec T-5 would fit our Sport trac since it is the same bolt on pattern for the mustang V6. Chck my library for my dynorun with the x-charger.

The 6 speed will not bolt up to the 4.0 ST...

Since your a 4x2 I recommend just change the gears in the rear to 4:56 posi that will give you more bottom end with out sacrificing the MPG on the top end..

With simple bolt ons, members have gotten 210 rear wheel HP.... the S/C is 275...

That is a nice number, but the S/C is loud and annoying and seems to be unreliable still....

The flasher will work with your Manual trans truck because it still can change all the engine performance peramaters...

Todd Z

Why not just swap in a rear axle from a Ranger FX4? Those came from the factory with 4:10 gears, 31 spline axles and a Torsen differential. All 02 FX4's had the Torsen but I would guess that you would want to look for a Level II if it was an 03 or newer FX4. The only other rear axle upgrade would be to switch to disc brakes from an Explorer. Much easier and probably cheaper than having a shop swap gears especially after you add in the cost of the gears and limited slip differential.

Todd,

I'm curious.

With a gear change, wouldn't the engine be spinning faster at highway speeds and thereby reducing MPG?

:huh: