Performance Upgrade Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Sacco

Reaction score
I have an '01 4x4 and I am almost to the point where I am ready to start installing some performance upgrades.

I want to do 1. The complete exhaust system (Y-pipe, HF cat, muffler, etc)

2. The Zabtech TB

3. MAC/K&N intake.

Is there any particular order of these that would be better? I gotta save my pennies, and can't do them all at once. Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated. :)

I would start with the intake side. This will be less expensive than the exhaust side. Also, to save some labor time, do the entire section at one time. Not so much on the intake side, but you may want to replace/install the entire exhaust in one attempt. Good luck...

Think about an AEM CAI that uses no oil on the filter or an AirAid CAI that uses a small amount of oil on the filter. Do the XCalibrator 2 last so that you can have it programmed for all of the mods you have done. Consider Taylor-Vertex wires which are just as good a JBA and less expensive. Also switch to a good synthetic oil like Royal Purple.

JBA wires, IMO, are overpriced. Got with Taylor wires.

With JBA, you are buying typical Spirial wound wires with an expensive name.

Tom

Shameless plug :

The zabteck Cold Air intake is going a "complete" kit from the throttle body to the MAF and then the MAF to the fender....

Maybe by next weekend pics will be posted..

Todd Z

Woppy, Just less resistance in the wries gets the spark there faster and hotter.... On the ST motor basically nothing then a smoother idel... No HP gains at all...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. Have seen alot about them but never quite understood their purpose. phew... something I don't want to buy! :D