Picked up 2007 ST yesterday :)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
We picked up our new '07 ST yesterday. Its a Limited 4.6L V-8, 4x4, Silver Birch Clearcoat, Dark Charcoal Two-Tone Leather, Tonneau Cover, Carge Cage, Class III Hitch, Moonroof, Convience Package, Power Sliding Rear Window (PDBL), Side Safety Canopy.

Where is the key for the tonneau cover? Is it in with the paper work or in the ST or was the dealer supposed to give it to me?

Former owner of 2001 Sport Trac, Silver, 4x4, 4.10 LS, Tonneau, Moonroof, Cloth, single CD/Cassette. Bought Nov. 20, 2000 traded in July 3, 2006 with 71,030 miles. Over that period I averaged a horrible 11.66 MPG, used 6,056.3 gallons of gas costing $11,668.34.[Broken External Image]:

Looks real nice!

11.66! You must have had a leak, a major tuning issue or some bizarre driving habits. :lol: Hope the V8 does much better.:cool:

I looked in there, will look again and in the glove box.

Was your key in there?

THE KEY SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE IGNITION KEY.... I THINK FORD HAS HAD A PROBLEM W/ THAT . THEY HAD TO RE-KEY MINE... SO NOW I HAVE TWO KEYS FOR THE TRUCK.

Chris so far you are the only one who says its the same key as the ignition.

Has anyone here actually gotten the key with the vehicle or cover?

JohnnyB,

My dealer handed me both sets of keys on delivery; larger PATS keys for the ignition, smaller keys for the tonneau. They are keyed differently, which I find convenient -- I can leave the ST running while locking/unlocking the tonneau. (Got one of those "pull-apart" key rings.) The '07 tonneau can latch without locking, and if I'm in and out of it several times a day, I leave it unlocked and just latch it.

11.66! You must have had a leak, a major tuning issue or some bizarre driving habits.

He lives in NYC. He is lucky to get 11 MPG with all the traffic.

THE KEY SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE IGNITION KEY.... I THINK FORD HAS HAD A PROBLEM W/ THAT . THEY HAD TO RE-KEY MINE... SO NOW I HAVE TWO KEYS FOR THE TRUCK.

If you did a little research you would know it was a screw-up on Fords part by not making them keyed alike. They should not be the same.

Tom

Great looking Trac!!!

---

Tom,

If you did a little research you would know it was a screw-up on Fords part by not making them keyed alike. They should not be the same.

What did the engineers say about this? The "logistics?" I did not pay close attention to their answer, but I assume it meant that the pieces are keyed in different locations because it is cheaper than having them keyed the same at the same location.

Am I assuming too much?

My feelings are mixed as to whether it is a good or bad idea. I like the idea of not needing to turn it off to unlock the back, but I would miss the convenience of one key.

Both statements are correct. It was a screw-up on Fords part by not making them the same. Ford did that because, as Adam said, it was just more convienient. I am not sure of the exact details, but Ford knows they screwed up and are planning to correct it. I know if I were in the market for a new Trac, the different key would actually sway me to buy an aftermarket cover. The single key was the deciding factor to buy the OE one over an aftermarket cover.

Tom

I have only one key for my 07. mine was built 06/06 looks like they changed it back to one key.

Bill

Sorry - JohnnyB

Very nice Trac

This post became something else about a silly key. I have an '07 with cover - different key than the ignition key. I like it !!!!

NICE looking NEW ST :):):):):)

Terry

Thanks all.

I dont care if its a different key or not. I just need to lock it. In NYC you cant leave anything unlocked.

I dont want anyone to get the idea that they can steal the whole cover.

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL! JohhnyB, that happens to be my new 07 ST (coming about 4/07), except for the 4X4, I mean you have it down with that Siulver Birch color, which I think is the best color going (Dark Cherry was my original choice). Great looking ride, man! Now drive it down here to Texas and let me have a look!;)

I wish I could go for a long road trip and see the great south. Stuck at work though.