PING!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm taking my '07 4x4 V8 track in tomorrow for a broken rear drivers side torsion support (I think). They replaced the front passengers side a few weeks ago, I guess it's a common problem with the tracks.

I've noticed something else start recently with this record breaking snowfall we've had over the last few weeks. Occasionally when turning and hitting a bump at low speeds I hear a PING sound coming from the front end. I'm not sure if the auto 4x4 is engaged when it happens or it's the sound of it engaging. Regardless it sounds horrible, metal on metal (ish).

I'm going to bring this up to the service department when I drop it off in the AM but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced such symptoms and what the problem may be.

I'm just over my warranty but purchased the full on extended warranty so I'm not to worried about the cost, just sucks being without a ride.

Any ideas would be great!

Steering Stops? (Limiters)

Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to take a picture before I dropped it off.

Turns out it is the front passenger lower ball joint and CV joint as well as the rear drivers torsion bar support.

Seems kind of strange since I baby the truck and it only has 60,000 km (37,000 mi) on it.

I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty, only a $200 deductible... Thats like $200.90 US!

Rob A, you're just over the original factory warranty so i'm surprised they are charging the $200. Especially since you just had the same issue a few weeks ago.

I'm curious, what did the extended warranty cost you (initial cost)?

I've got the paperwork at home with the cost, etc. The thing that choked me was when they sayd "We'll have to see if it's covered under the ESP (Extended Service Plane)". When I purchased the extended they said it was exactly the same coverage as the original factory warrant.

I baby the Track hence there is only 60,000km on it. I've got the 1/4ly detail plan from a large detail shop in my area and have never been offroading. I was surprised myself to hear that those parts were warn out.

They've had it for two days now and just called to tell me they will be keeping it overnight again. Something with the new Lower Ball Joint they put on. It's kinda making me nervous, I should have just bought a new F-150 I'm starting to think.

they sayd "We'll have to see if it's covered under the ESP

I have had the ford premium ESP in the past. That is the one thing that always ticked me off. I was always told they would have to tear into it first. I would say, this is an item that is included in the list. They would still not tell me. The problems were always covered. It is just the idea of leaving the car not knowing. It breeds mistrust, IMO. My deduct was only $50.