pinion seal leaking, help me change it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris smith 5

Reaction score
Last month I changed out the rear axle fluid, this morning I noticed the pinion seal is leaking. Maybe the differential was low and the seal dried out, then I filled it back up and the oil pushed through.

Whats involved in replacing the pinion seal? Drain the axle, then remove the driveshaft from the differential right...... how do I go about the removal? Any pointers before I take it apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help, but for what it's worth, I had mine (on my wife's Mountaineer) replaced at my dealer two days ago...$118, including parts and labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you should need to do is, remove the differenctial cover and drain the gear oil, drop the rear driveshaft, rmove the bolt in the center if the pinion yoke, pry out the old seal, and install a new seal, reinstall the yoke and tighten the nut to specs, reinstall the driveshaft and rear axle with gear oil, and you are done.

...Rich

Thanks Rich. That is exactly what I did, until it came to installing a new seal. The bonehead at Checker sold me the wrong seal and they were already closed by the time I found out. Now the S/T sits in the Auto Hobby shop on a lift for the night. I'll get back to it tomorrow, thanks.

Latest posts