Pioneer Audio System Installation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
After focusing much of my attention to the trac's exterior and performance mods, I decided that it's time to start working on the interior...namely the audio system.

I chose to go with Pioneer audio components for their quality, durability, and price.

[Broken External Image]:

Ever since I bought the trac, I had plans on installing an in dash dvd player...question was: single or double din?

[Broken External Image]:

I decided to go with a double din because I didn't like the flip out screen blocking the ac vents. Glad I went with the double...looks cleaner too IMO.

Flo-rida :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

Not only do I get to listen to clean music now, I get to watch it too...

[Broken External Image]:

For speakers, I decided to go with replacment 6x8 coaxials for all 4 doors. The TS-802P's are rated at 260 watts max. Punchy bass, and crisp, clear highs...I may decide to go with 6.5 separates for the front later...

[Broken External Image]:

To drive the 6x8's I went with a Pioneers GM series 600 watt 4 channel amp. Lot's of power for the mids and highs...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

This is just a temporary location for the amp. I'm probably going with a single 10in. underseat sub and both amps will go behind the rear seat.

I have always found pleasure in driving my trac and this is the icing on the cake...and I'm only have way done with this system :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that exactly the one I was looking at. I really like how it looks. If I'm not mistaken, it is Ipod compatible right? Anyway, congrats! looks good and I bet it sounds good too.

SWEET!!! Did you have to trim the dash bezel to get it to fit right? Looks real slick though! I can't wait to install my Pioneer 700BT :banana:

Very nice! I would have to agree with you, the double din does look better. I felt the same way about the flip up, that's why I went with the Pioneer D3!

Looks great! What made you go will all Pioneer and how long was installation time?

I went with all Alpine and the flip up, mainly so I would have more screen. I didn't care about blocking the vents that don't get used anyway. I turned mine off, so more air is flowed to the side vents.

HawaiianST, that looks awesome. Couple of questions, if you don't mind, please:

1. Did you take pics of the installation (maybe for a project)?

2. Did you have to splice wires or was a harness available?

3. Is the screen easily visible from a rear seat (center) position?

4. Did you have to do any cutting?

5. What is the button/plug on the left side of your radio bezel?

6. Do you think using the factory speakers is OK for someone on a budget?

Again, awesome job. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Not to steal thunder, but just because I have been there, done that.

eltee:

From my installation:

1. N/A

2. Harness available. Check Crutchfield.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. You need to trim the upper and lower lips of the bezel. See Sal A's library.

5. N/A

6. Yes.

[Broken External Image]:

Mahalo for the awesome comments :D

For those who are looking for an in dash dvd player, I would highly recommend this one. It has all the features you would want in a receiver...ipod/bluetooth compatible, all the inputs and outputs you would want/need...A/V, preamps, aux., usb, and very user friendly with choke (plenty) features. You can choose from 5 preset backgrounds or you can use your own pictures and create a slide show via usb device. You can also choose different tab/button colors, or have it cycle through all of them. I'm still reading into all the features that this head unit offers...

To answer a few questions...

SFCEd: Ipod compatible ;)

Mr.lunchbox: No cutting. The audio shop used a dash kit for a clean look.

BeerDelivery: I feel Pioneer is pretty much a household name in car audio who has proven themselves over the years. They're also known for quality components that aren't overpriced. Could have gone with all Alpine for about 150.00 more. I actually got to listen to the components before I purchased them. Hung out in the shop's sound room and did a side by side comparison of the Pioneer and Alpine system and IMO, the Pioneer system sounded richer, crisper, and cleaner than the Alpine one. Just my preference and taste I guess ;)

Eltee: I had the system professionally installed so I have no pictures of the installation process...sorry :(

A harness made specifically for ford autos were used.

The screen can be seen just fine from the rear seat (I got 20/20 vision though :p)

As far as using your factory speakers...it's totally up to you. You definitely won't be getting the best that your new head unit would have to offer. I didn't even want to install the new speakers without an amp to drive them...but that's just me. You can easily find good speakers without breaking your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawaiian, the cutting involved isn't major and you wouldn't even be aware of it if you didn't do the install yourself. There is a small lip on the inside of the bezel, normally hidden by the face of the OEM radio that must be trimmed off to fit a double din radio in place. I did it on my ST and my 2000 Explorer to accommodate double din installs. The dash kit gives instructions on it though, and its pretty simple with a dremel or grinder.

Yeah...thanks Dan I figured that.

I asked the installer about the double din installation and he made no mention of having to cut anything, just said the dash kit would take care of it.

I'm thinking maybe that's why crutchfield says these wont fit the sport trac's dash...

4. here is the picture of what needs to get trimmed..

[Broken External Image]:

this is what needs to be trimmed to make the opening a true Double DIN opening.

measure your kit and trim it to size. some kits are a little different.. they could vary a an 1/8 of an inch or so.

To answer eltee's question about sticking with the stock speakers, it will sound fine. I think upgrading the headunit actually made them sound better. The only thing that needs changed is the factory sub! But that's just my opinion.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a Double Din with Nav. I just can't see spending more time researching this stuff. I'm pretty burned out on car audio.

If I upgrade anything else it will be both my amps. I really want a JL Audio 500/1v2 and a 300/4v2.

Hey, Keola!

Good looking install and a great choice.

I think you should send a picture of it to Crutchfields just to show them what can be done with our beloved Sport Trac! :cool: