Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in '07 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I will be installing the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my '07 ST when I get it. For now I am getting together the parts that I will need. I emailed Crutcufield and they told me this is what I need:

<A HREF="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m1Zu6Tc2SUj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=12040CR10&s=0&cc=01">Chrysler Antenna Adapter Chrysler antenna to Motorola male Item #12040CR10</A>

<A HREF="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m1Zu6Tc2SUj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120705520&s=0&cc=01">Ford Wire Harness receiver, 2003-up Item #120705520</A>

Does this make sense to you audio guys or anyone who has done an install on the new ST?

Shouldn't anything for an '06 Explorer fit the '07 ST?

I asked about a trim kit and they said that there was not one available and I would have ot fabricate one myself. Wouldnt this for the '06 Explorer fit?

<A HREF="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m1Zu6Tc2SUj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120995807">Ford F150 Pickup Kit 2004-Up, Chassis size E Item #120995807</A>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused as to why you ned the Chrysler antenna adapter... And, yes I /m pretty sure that is the install kit you will need.

I thought that was wierd too. I did cross referencethe Chrysler Antenna Adapter it and it is the same part # for the '06 Explorer.

So, you think I am good to order the 3 items?

I had my AVIC-Z1 installed by a local auto-sound shop. Check my link below for pics during my radio yank. One of the pics of the rear of the radio shows that the Ford connector is just like the old Chryslers. So, you will need the Chrysler adapter. The 2003 wiring harness does not have the orange wire (dimmer signal) in the right hole for the 07ST. You can either repin it in the mold or solder onto the factory wire (possibly brown, but can't remember). I purchased an aftermarket mod from avic411.com (see their hacks forum) to open up the AVIC-Z1 and just robbed power for dimmer from the light inside the shifter. The F150 dash kit will fit like a charm.

I may have asked this already, how much was the install? or did you buy from them and let them install it?

Thanks

I bought it from them and they charged me the crutchfield.com price. They also put in the rear camera and XMNavTraffic and I requested the IPOD interface but that is backordered. They charged me about $250 in labor and they needed it 10 hours. They had to hunt high and low for the speed sensor wire on the ST. I still have no idea where they found it but I will look for you. It's required for the unit to be accurate when under trees and in tunnels because it will lose GPS lock. $3200 when all was said and done.

Also, they hard wired in the steering wheel controller. This looked like spaghetti when I yanked the Z1 to see what they did.

Hey Pat--can you post a pic of your final install!?!?

JohnnyB- How about a picture of your non audiophile system?? I am curious as to what exactly it look like--the local dealer I ordered from only had Audiophile units...

Looks good Pat, I'll be referring to your pcs for sure during my install. You did need a trim kit, correct?

A1cntrler, I dont have the ST yet. Hopefully by Wed. the 27th. Dont worry I'll be taking plenty of pics :)

How long does it take the dealer to prep it for my pick up? Also I am going to get Lojack installed.

Dealer prep should take a few hours (detailing, fluid checks, fill the tank), depending how busy they are.

The trim kit is the same one for the new F150's available at Crutchfield. Good luck!

I talked to crutchfield some more today and the 3 items I listed above should be good for the '07 ST.

The only concern I have is the Illumination wire on the harness. Someone made a comment that it was not in the correct space. He didnt have a ST or even an Explorer/F-150 so I will deal with that when I do the install. Can always call the crutchfield techs if I have to.

Yes, the illumination pin on the harness you're buying is one hole below where it should be on the '07. The illumination signal is about 3 volts coming from the factory wiring. I didn't think this would be sufficient for the AVIC-Z1 to decide it should go into "night mode" so I did rob power from the white wire running to the illumination bulb going to the shifter.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you order one of the bypass units, see link below. I installed it after the auto-sound folks installed my AVIC. The problem is, if you don't install something like this, you cannot tell your AVIC to route you to a destination while you are moving. This means that if you want your passenger to input a new address destination, you need to pull over, set the e-brake, and then do it. That is horrible, in my opinion. This bypass allows you to do this, as well as change some other settings, and also view the DVD movie while moving. Although this isn't recommended.....

ETA: From the avic411 forum (Q&A): Is there a reliable bypass for the touchscreen/dvd playback when the car is in motion? Yes! You must turn your lights on and off about 5 seconds after your unit starts to boot up. Specifically the illumination wire must go from 12v to 0v at the very first pioneer bootup screen (where the text is in the top left corner, before the big pioneer logo pops up.)

That's what the bypass circuitry will do.

Thanks Pat for the info on the illumination wire. So what you are saying is that I shouldn't use the illum. wire in the harness - I should jump out the white wire to the pin above the illum. wire?

I already got the ducati flasher from the Avic411 site. Just waiting for the crutchfield stuff to come in tomorrow. Of course the main part that is missing now is the '07 ST. ;)

Yeah, use the white wire in the console for power to the dimmer. It's possible that the dimmer wire that is not pinned correctly may have enough signal to trip the AVIC-Z1 into night mode, but I didn't try it. I just ran a wire to the white wire that illuminates the shifter position. You're gonna love the bypass and the new Z1!!!

Sorry - I misread your email. Take the orang wire that comes out of the AVIC-Z1 harness and run a wire down to the white wire in the console for dimmer. Don't mess with splicing into the harness from Crutchfield, since that is connected to the wrong pin.

Another question Pat, if you dont mind. :wacko:

Do you need those U shaped tools to pull the '07 radio out like you do on the '01 to '05 ?

Also I need some clrification on the wiring thing, I must be a retard.

Dont use the orange/white wire in the crutchfield harness at all. Instead take the Orange wire coming from the Z1 and bypass the harness all together and connect it to the white wire further down in the console. Is it easilly seen? I guess its by the shifter handle?

THANKS!

The radio in the 07 uses standard bolts. Once you remove the trim bezel, there are 4 bolts. No more u-shaped tools required.

Yes, you got the wiring right on the dimmer. Once you remove the console, the black plastic piece that houses the P R N D indicator is held down by 4 snaps. Pry them out and pull the plastic unit up. Then, you'll see the bulb base and white/black wires. This is where I got the 12V for the dimmer signal. White is hot, black is ground. I just twisted the bulb out of the shifter housing, unrouted the wiring so I had better access, and spliced into the white wire. Then I twisted the bulb back into the shifter housing and replaced the black piece with the P R N D indicator on it. Wish I had better pics of this.

1db08abbc35265aacd771a2ea0f1361d.jpg