Pitted Rotors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Honeyford

Reaction score
At 30,000 miles I changed my 2002 St front pads to ceramic, but did not remove or cut the original rotors.Soon thereafter I developed a pulse in the brake pedal. Thinking I warped the rotors, I lived with it until I needed to replace the rears. Last weekend I removed the rotors to find severe pitting on the inside surfaces of both but no warping or discoloring! Anybody have this problem or know what the cause is?

PS.I just turned 60,000 mi.and have had the ST since new without any prolonged submarining!

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Appears to be material from the pads have built up on the rotor.

Did you follow proper brake pad break-in procedure?

What specific pads are being used?

Looks to be a metal flaw (flaking) and looks like rust in the pits. Might have been that way all along and you didnt notice, since this is the first time you pulled them.

To Tiger: I did break them in carefully, butI think that a couple of panic stops soon afterward ight have warped them.It is definitely pitted not built up, so I don't think its that.

Fast Eddie might be right because they are very deep pits. I just have never seen anything like this before on one side of two rotors!