Plugged Cat Converter - Noise under passenger side floor board/seat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I have a strong reason to believe my cat converter is plugged. Over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed a rattling noise coming from under the passenger side floor board/seat. This rattle turned into a whistle, then a hissing to a swooshing, almost like a window is down. Its extremely load in the cabin almost to a point you can hear it over the radio at 3/4 volume high. When you crawl under the trac and listen the cat sounds restricted or plugged and its very very noticeable. I get minimal exhaust on cold mornings. Other symptoms other than minimal exhaust is a burning oder, sometimes a sulfur smell, every 5 days or 150 miles Im filling my tank, and a metallic burning smell.

I believe emissions warranty is 8 years 800000, both which I'm under. My question: Is my cat plugged?

Sorta sounds like that might be your problem. Do you notice a loss in power at around 60-70 MPH. This is another sign of a plugged cat.....

If it is plugged do not wait to get it fixed, I was reading an article in Popular Mechanics that mentioned the Escape having an issue with there cats and causing bottom end damage when not being fixed due to overheating.

If you have had a decrease in MPG's, notice a lack in power (not always true), then you may be on the right path.

Many shops can test for this. At our shop, you drill a 1/8th in hole in front of the converter, insert a tube hooked to a pressure guage, floor the engine for a moment and see where the gauge goes to. A reading of 1 to 8ish PSI is ok, if it hits 10 or higher then something is plugged or partially plugged.

At exhaust shops such as ours, the main in-line converts installed run about $150 ish.

At the upper Y pipe location a bit more as they are more labor intrusive.

Hope this helps...

Sounds like a good time to install some Random Technology exhaust parts from Zabteck to me!:banana::cool:

Just curious how many cats are on the trac?

I have noticed a performance loss at highway speeds. I have 63K miles and its under the 8yr emissions warranty. Its almost hard to drive at times between the noise and no power.

On a Gen 1 Trac, there are four cats total. Two "pre-cats" on the Y-pipe, and two inline on the exhaust pipe just aft of the Y-pipe and before the muffler.

The R/T Y-pipe eliminates the two "pre-cats" and the R/T high-flow cat replaces the other two with one high-flow cat. Both parts are direct bolt-on items.

Latest posts