Po446

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got this code P0446 and I know it has to do with the evap system but for some reason I can't get it to go away. I've tried the "gas" cap thing but nothing. I had the code reset but it came back. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? The stealership wants 110 bucks to fix it, I have an extended warranty but that doesn't cover diagnostics!:angry:

P0446 is Evaporative emission control system, vent control circuit malfunction, how to repair it?? No clue....I found this on a Lexus repair forum, I would think it would be roughly the same repair....A very common cause of P0441, P0442, or P0446 is a missing, loose, or broken fuel cap. The system is that sensitive, so if the fuel cap isn't doing its job to control vapor emissions, the computer will flag it. So maybe need to replace the fuel cap or make sure all hoses/connectors are tight. Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I found that as well...I tried the gas cap thing but it came back after I had a friend with a reader clear it. I also talked to my brother (ford Mechanic in BC) and he thinks it might be the evap canister clogged. I'll have to figure out how to get it out and clean it I guess....

That would be a good project idea if it works!! I have been wanting to get a factory service manual, prices arent too bad on eBay. Maybe I should get one BEFORE something happens to the ST!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check all the rubber hoses on top of the spare tire, usually those either come lose or crack. That's the next thing in line to check if it's not the gas cap.:banana:

Latest posts