Poor performance and Gas Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64117

Reaction score
I purchased a 2001 ST and Love IT!!! My only issue is how bad Gas Mileage and Power is. I got it from a dealer - non-Ford. i get about 10-12 mpg in the city. I may get 14-16 mpg highway. I have driven it for 2500 miles. Any ideas or suggestions. Everything appears stock. No Induction Air system or anything like that.

thanks,

Dan

By lighter shoes! :)

I drive mine like a grandpa.... get 15-16 in town, 18-21 highway. Easy starts, keep it under 70 on the highway. Of course after about 100 miles, I say screw it on the highway and bump it up to about 77.... the difference in 17 and 20 mpg might cost me an extra $30, my extra hour home makes up for it to me. Of course, I drive 632 miles one way :( Thank goodness it is only about once a month when in port (not very often) and only when I can't get the cheap seats on SWA.

'05 4.0 v6 with the 6-speed O.D. I drive like grandma moses, most of the time, kinda like

grandpa! I consistantly get 21-23 m.p.g on slightly hilly terrain, 80 mile round trip commute

every day. I'm a happy camper!:D

A nice little option you can get to see if it is your driving or as you mod stuff is the scangauge2.You can set it on the current gas milage to check you driving or set it to tank and see overall gas milage. I would suggest changing the air filter to a high flow filter, this will help a little on regular milage, and a lot on power for passing and such. A good injector cleaner is Sea foam,available at alot of parts stores. Also do the synthetic oil thing all the way around. _ Ron

Take the advice of the guys above. You should be getting better mpg than that. I'm getting 16 in summer months using the ac constantly and 10% ethenol blend. Get closer to 18 in the winter with limited ac and regular gas. All heavy traffic in-town driving.

Long time member first time poster. I love my 2001 ST. I bought it in 7/2001. Where is air filter located ? and is there a meet an greet forum ? thanks Josh

Dan,

The Sport Trac gets pretty good mileage for a truck, and you should be getting better than you are experiencing. You may need to clean the IAC. Also, you can't drive like a race car driver without burning a lot of fuel.

I ultimately decided to trade-in my ST because of the same complaint you have. $300+ per month for gas was getting ridiculous.

Josh,

As you are looking into the engine compartment, you will see a shoebox-sized plastic box with a big hose (about 5-inch diameter) coming out of it. The filter is inside of that. Just unsnap the four clips and pull the lid up to change your filter.

Zoom-Zoom :)

[Broken External Image]: