Popping when taking off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Varner

Reaction score
I have an 01 ST and have had multiple problems with it and the latest is there is a popping noice when I take off, so does anyone have an Idea what would be popping when I take off from a stop. The sound I think is coming from the the back drivers side but not real sure. I was thinking it was the brakes on the rear since they are drum brakes but got to really thinking I have never heard them do that before on any car or truck.

Could I be mistaken and it be my front ball joints popping.

My 2005 does the exact same thing. When I back out, then shift into drive and start to take off, I hear that same popping sound! It has done it since it was new. Nothing seems to be a problem but it is very annoying to hear a new vehicle make that sound.

Check the Word file in my library folder " Body Mount Crack". This particular problem is limited to several production months in late 2000.

Don't know how many miles you have on it, but it also might be the rear u-joint is either in need of grease or in need of replacement.. It's a cheap and quick fix, but requires that you drop the driveshaft. Can easily be done by you, but if messing with the driveshaft is un-nerving for you then just have a shop do it. It shouldn't be more than a 1/2 hour of labor. Hop this helps.

--Bob

I got that on my 03 Ranger since it was new and I get it time to time on the 03 ST. The shop said something about what it was and that it wasn't a problem and couldn't be stopped.