positive retention/no pictures

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Miller

Reaction score
Years ago one positive retention clip(2002 Sport Trac)ripped off floor but floor mat(original Berber mat) stayed in place with other clip. This week the other clip ripped up and mat is not staying put. How can I fix this? Should I buy aftermarket floor mats? All-weather mats any good? Recommendations?

Also what is wrong with pictures on this site? I can't view pics or upload to my library. I bought new tires and I can't post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "ripped off", do you mean came out of the hole because the hole has torn or enlarged? I have a bit of that, but only to the extent that one side of one clip doesn't stay under the floor.

A couple ideas (that I haven't tried):

- Try some vinyl repair adhesive and a patch (under the vinyl floor)

- Maybe a piece of sheet plastic, metal or aluminum, about three or four inches in diameter, with adhesive under the vinyl floor; I'd probably glue it to the underside of the vinyl floor, so it can move with it

- Velcro

I bent up a piece of welding rod and attached it to the seat bolt. Check out my library for my 01 and there should be a picture in there.

One of the easiest ways to fix the slipping mat is borrowed from fixing throw rugs from slipping on wood or tile floors in the house.

Simply squeeze long beads of Clear Silicone Caulk onto the back of the mats in a 2-3 inch grid or cross-hatched pattern over the entire back of the mat. Then run a finger or small flat piece of plastic over the beads to insure the beads a pressed into the backing of the mat so that the bead does not peel off. Let the caulk dry for 1-2 hours (24 hours is best) and your mats won't slide around, yet they will be easy to remove and clean.

...Rich

I like Jeff's idea - inexpensive, easy, effective and not permanent. Maybe do that with sheet metal, so it lays flay under the bolt.

You might have a problem with sheet metal holding its shape and not straightening out over time. The bolt was plenty long to accommodate the 1/8" diameter wire rod.

[Broken External Image]:

Thank you everyone for your great ideas. I fixed with a plastic soda bottle. I cut off the ends so I have flat piece of plastic. Cut holes in plastic to attach clips. Placed under vinyl floor and pulled hooks through the holes in vinyl floor.

Latest posts