Possible Timing Chain Rattle???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When going down some roads I can hear what sounds like (as far as I can explain it) a loose chain that is almost slipping but catches and tightens up. I'm afraid it may be the timing chain but if somebody else has and clue I would love the input.

Also wondering if it was the timing chain I know it being a four wheel drive if there was some way it could be one of the rear chains that is doing it but not causing any problems such as missing or anything.

Loose timing chain rattle is typically heard when you start the engine, prior to the hydraulic tensioners tightening up (the V6 has two timing chains). What you're describing does not sound like timing chain rattle. More like transfer case chain rattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if it's the transfer case chain rattling how hard of a fix is that and should it be rattling all the time. Also I notice that the sound sounds the same no matter what the rpm's really are thats why I was kinda thinking it wasn't the timing chain because I would think it would sound different (possible worse) as the rpm's went up.

I hear my timing chain rattle within the first 5 minutes of statrup. I only hear it when I apply moderate throttle acceleratring. If I am very light, or get on it a bit more aggressivly, the sound goes away. It sounds just like marbles getting shaken in a tin can. On my old Ranger I always though it was detonation under light load. Maybe it was timing chain rattle too?

What exactly did the TSB recall fix involve?

Latest posts