Powemaster Alternator & Optima Yellow Top for ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I have a little bit of a question that I think I know the answers to, but just wanted to see what some of the 'pro's' here thought.

I run a higher end stereo system... I noticed when I first had it in there the lights would BARELY dim, almost not noticeable. Gradually its getting worse, and last night I noticed that my voltage guage in the instrument cluster is going up and down with the bass notes, and the lights are dimming A LOT.

My question is... would this be due to the alternator or the battery? I am thinking the alternator, slowly dying on me, and not able to charge the battery quick enuff for the usage... this jive with you guys?

For anyone interested the POWERMASTER Part # is 47787

I also want to get an Optima Yellow Top battery to go with the new alternator and hopefully rid the vehicle of any power loss during loud bass hits....

Anyone have a cheap place to get the YellowTop Battery?

Thanks, and any info is appreciated in regards to better powering of the electrical system!

Where were you when I got a yellow top for a member last week for $85.00. A battery store went out of business and I put a post up if anyone wanted one. Mike in the next town over grabbed it right up. I did happen to buy an extra red top that I was going to put on ebay. Those are selling around that price plus shipping, let me know. Gary D. in CT

What is the difference between the red, and yellow tops? I thought the yellow was more for car audio enthusiasts for starting and deep cycling...?

Ya, I was just checking there, It doesnt really say much about the red top.... but specifically mentions car audio on the yellow...

Anyone pickup the yellowtop that doesnt want/need it anymore?!?!

This is what Powermaster had emailed me... I just want to confirm with someone that this is a direct bolt on alternator with no mods required...

Our part number 47787 is a natural finish 200 amp unit.

Thank You,

John Brady

Tech Support/Sales

800-862-7223-EXT 1207

www.powermastermotorsports.com

I think someone mentioned that it was for a Mountaineer.... but not 100% on that... are they the same if this is the case?

Thanks!

If this is the problema nd you have a high output stereo, then get the optima yellow top (pretty much thebest battery you can get) the best price I can find is at costco of all places (unless you can find a sale somewhere). Also, get a capaictor installed with your stereo, that will keeo the lights from dimming and getting the high output alternator would be a great idea as well... heck... do all 3

Dallas

Also remember to upgrade or double your alternator wiring, OR run a direct line to the battery as you will melt the stock wiring with that alternator..

Todd Z

Todd, Ive done that already, I have what car audio enthusiasts call the " Big 3 "

I have 4 guage wire going from alternator to battery, battery to chassis, and battery to engine.

Latest posts