Power mirror switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Bonds

Reaction score
My power mirrors have suddenly gone south, literally. The switch activates a downward movement only.... on both mirrors. Soooo, has anyone been here, done this?

Will the mirror switch 'pop out'? Or must the door panel be removed for investigation?

Will I believe it just pops out with a little pressure..

Todd Z

Though it may pop out (don't think it will due to pressure clips), I don't think the wire harness will fit through the same opening, which will obviously pose a problem for removing/replacing the harness.

The switch pops out by closing the pressure pins on the back of the switch. You have to pull the upper plastic trim area where the switch is off to pinch the pressure clips and remove the wire harness because as Spaceman stated it will not fit through the opening . I had a similar incident with my ST, except mine just quit. I checked the fuss thinking it was that but no. Then I thought it was the actual switch and no. Traced the wires from the switch down the door and found out that some how the wire to the switch (the one with all the other electrical wiresinside the black boot that you can see when you swing the door open) was pinched. Cut it and tapped it back together, the mirrors worked and have continued to work without a problem since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
kudos to OFF TRAC..... I opened the door, skinned back the flexboot covering the bundle of wires, wiggled them en masse, and got 3 outta 4 of the mirror directions back immediately.

So, no doubt it is a crimped wire condition, and not the switch. Thanks for the help !

DW's Sable has the same type switch, hers quit working in certain directions. I removed it, disassembled it, cleaned with contact cleaner and reassembled. Works great.

Latest posts