Power Mirrors kinda not workin

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
I went to adjust my mirrors this morning, and they won't work correctly. I can move the little control knob to the left, and it works fine on both mirrors, but when I try to move the knob to the right, nothing happens. So my drivers mirror can turn to reflect further out, but my passenger mirror cannot. Any ideas?

Its just karma getting you back for selling those broken tail lights on the swap and sell board, LOL just kidding, lmao:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, they really aren't broken, and the buyer will see that. Now, a certain member here did destroy part of the reflectors that I repaired, and I won't mention JK by name, but he knows who he is. :D Anyways, any thoughts on this mirror thing? I haven't installed any electronics lately, and I haven't even messed with the doors, like where the switch is, but I really don't want to go back to the dealer here. That's Carl Gregory Ford in Auburn, AL off I-85S at mile marker 54...any thoughts? Anyone know how much a new switch is or what the part number is?

Sounds like one of the contacts in joystick on the switch might have broken. You may have to replace the switch. But check first, and make sure a wire didn't come loose.

The mirror might have got manualy push to its limits. The motors will only drive them so far. Try moving the mirror by hand, to alittle past where you want it. Then see if the motor will move it left and right. If that does it you may have to hand adjust a few times, to get full left right motion.

This happens alot on my wifes Escape. She is a teacher, kids are always messing with the cars..

Me too. I adjusted the mirrors by hand, and they still won't move in that direction. I think it's a corroded contacts thing, or something similar. Maybe something is caught between the contacts.

Quickly, sort of roughly, repeatedly move the joystick around through it's positions. If a contact has a bit of corrosion/oxidation on it, this might 'clean' it. Just a thought. Don't cost anything. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup...

The switch...

Dawn's have done the same thing for the last six months or so. I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts and put more tension in them with some gentle bending and then put it back together. Works great now.

I should have done a project on it, but I only took it apart to "see" what was inside and if the problem was there, and ended up fixing it.

If anyone wants to send me their switch I'll take it apart and clean it and take pictures for a project and then send it back...

Mark

Could you just tell me how to get the switch out? Just pull? I got some free time and a digital camera...wanna make it a group project?:p

The switch is retained by two plastic barbs that grab the door panel. You can get the switch out with careful screwdriver pry/extraction, but you'd be safer removing the door panel. Reason being, the wiring connector is too big to allow the switch to come through the panel. I had to pry the switch out a bit and then disconnect the wiring with another push of a screwdriver.

On installation I plugged the harness in and forced it through the door panel. It was tight, and no marks on the door, but it might be tough for some people.

I say take the door panel off, it's only a couple of screws and push pins.

Let me know if you need any help. I'll try to go from memory as its been about three months since I fixed the switch on ours.

Mark

maybe your ST is just too fast for the mirrors, and your blowing them right off..

Todd Z

Mark: I was ready to replace the one in DW's Sable and decided to tear into it based on your post that it could be cleaned.... needless to say the mirrors now work (in fact worked to good at first, I bent the tabs to far and both mirrors moved at the same time :) ). Time: 30 minutes Cost: 1 beer Savings: 50.60

Thanks!

Latest posts