Power Steering Fluid- Any harm?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Hi,

After looking at the cap of the power steering reservoir, it did not say any certain power steering fluid. So i went and bouth some Valvolin power steering fluid. Poured it in, then checked the owners manual, it said to put Maricon ATF (something like that) only. Is this bad? And can it harm the ST?:unsure:

Thanks, George

Honestly how much did you add???

I cant see the 1 time top off doing any harm what so ever..

Todd Z

You know the owner's manual is just full of useless junk anyway. I would pay no attention to what fluids go where. They are all the same with just different packaging to make extra money for the oil companies and Ford. It has to be wrong afterall, because why would Ford say to put Automatic Transmission Fluid into the power steering? That would make no sense would it? :lol:

Thanks,

Thats what i think too. Todd, the reservoir was empty(it got damaged and leaked everything out) so i added between the minimum and maximum.

I hope it will be good.

Check the specs on the PS bottle and compare it to the specs on the trans fluid bottle. Sometimes the specs are compatible.

Did you fix the damage to the ps ???

Nelson, i know, just not sure if i will drain it or not.

Todd, yeah i replaced, got a new reservoir.

Do you guys think i should drain it and put in the, recomeended one?

Well the thing is this....

IS the fluid in the reservoir still the brown PS fluid color, or is it red ???

IF it has mixed, you will have to drain the whole system, fill with correct fluid and then bleed the air out....

I don't know if a pint of fluid is going to harm it..

I do remember when I bought the new pump for my 75 mustang it had tranny fluid in it... The NEW pump said to use regular PS fluid... I called A1-cardone the re builders and told them the car had tranny fluid, they said go a head and fill it with the tranny fluid...

IT went 60K miles before I sold it...

Todd Z:wub:

The fluid that was in there, was red, then i got the Valvoline (which is clear with a slitish green tint to it), so i dont quite know. There was still red ps in the lines/tubes. What do you mean by bleading out (like the saming as bleading the brake system??)

Thanks for your help

FYI, I read somewhere (perhaps a TSB) that older versions of MERCON fluid is being discontinued and that MERCON V fluid should be used for the power steering.

Trac_511 or anyone do you guys think i should drain??I havent driven it yet so the new fluid is still just in the reservoir.

By the way, is mercon sold at dealers or stores too? And approximately how does it cost? i paid like 4 bucks for Valvoline.

Did you actually start and drive the truck with the mixed fluid ??

Todd Z

I think the PS fluid will break down the tranny fluid into a black runny mess. Get a siphon pump, siphon the reservoir, fill it, start the car, turn the wheel left and right, turn off, siphon, fill, do this until you have nice red trans fluid.

No,

I did not start and drive the car. I poured it in there and left it. So technically shouldnt the new fluid be in the reservoir and the old in the tubes. If that is the case, cant i just siphon it out of there, then just pour Mercon into there??

Thanks, George

Yup,

Get on it....

siphon away..

Todd Z

Depends on the specific gravity of each of the fluids.

Probably the UAW makes them put automatic transmission fluid in the power steering. I'll bet Ridgelines, Tundras, and Titans don't use automatic transmission fluid in their power steering systems.

For what it is worth, the text below is from the Valvoline website.

Pyroil Power Steering Fluid is made of highly refined base stocks and selected additives designed to provide maximum performance while preventing wear, corrosion and foaming. It's not recommended for use in Honda or Audi power steering units, but meets GM, Ford and Chrysler specifications.

Latest posts