Power Steering Fluid- Any harm?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think im going to change it just in case. I dont believe it will cause any harm if i mis them but dont want to risk it.

Is the Maricon ATF only available at dealers?

Thanks, George T.

I have heard about a easy way to change all the fluid. You use a turkey baster and empty the reservoir. Fill with new fluid. Drive for a short time and repeat a couple more times. After doing that 3 or 4 times you'll have basically all new fluid in the system.

When in the store, do i look for a general Mercon ATF or are there different ones? Trac 511 said to use Mercon V, is that the one to get?

Thanks a lot, George

George, from what I recall, MerconV is to be used since older Mercon types are being discontinued. Whether it's safe to mix different versions I'm not sure, but I would guess not a good idea.

A whole lot of vehicles call for plain Mercon. It will be available for a long time. I mean, if you look a little bit you can still find Type F, which Fords haven't called for since about 1982.

Also, Mobil 1 ATF is now compatible with both Mercon and Mercon V.

Latest posts