Power Steering Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Polk

Reaction score
The power steering pump starts to whine when I turn the steering wheel, like it's low on fluid, but it's not. Could the pump be going out? It almost has 60k on it.

I know some other Fords I have driven, the power steering pump was the first thing to go.

It sounds like it is going to me. I had one that started to do that on my old car, and I let it go. When it finally went all the way, it froze on me, which caused the belt to break off.

There is a screen at the pump as well as a little valve where the line goes in.

Remove the line, then the large nut that the line threaded into. All the fluid will drain out, so have a container on the ground. Once you remove the large nut, use a magnet to pull the valve out if you can't grab it. Clean it up and COAT it with white lithium grease.

Now, before you do this, I would power flush the fluid so once you do clean the valve up, you are starting with nice new fluid. You do this by, removing the low pressure line, plug the nipple from the pump, route the line to a container, start the Track, pour fluid in and the fluid will go through the pump, the rack and into the waste can.

Side note: if the fluid is BLACK, not dark red, but black, then something that is aluminum, (like the rack-and-pinion) is deteriorating. The noise is caused by the aluminum contaminates. Pumps don't like to pump anything other than fluid...

hope this helps...