Preliminary Roadmaster Active Suspension impression

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First to recap for those that may not be following this install. We have TOYO Open Country AT tires, Monroe Reflex shocks on the front with KYB Monomax on the rear, also an EE anti-sway bar. We put on a ARE MX truck cap several wks. ago which raised the ctr. of gravity in the rear because it weighs around 160 lbs., and noticed that there was just a little more sway in the rear. Since installing the RAS on the leaf spring last Thurs. (see Thank You Trackette Paul post) we have driven on some narrow less maintained country roads last Sat. I must say that now I have to keep in mind even more so that I am driving a truck not a car. The additional sway that the truck cap added is gone. I also notice that going over speed bumps (out here they are 2 in series & wider called undulations) is not as much of a jolt (less stiff). I just realized that in addition to helping the leaf springs do their job better, they help the shocks work better as well. Because when the leaf springs work more efficiently the shocks have to do less work. I will post an update after we get back from Kingman, AZ next week. Below is some additional information from a reply to an earlier post on shocks.

I did our shocks first with Monroe reflex, and when one of the rear went out in less than a yr. I replaced the rears with KYB Monomax which surprisingly made the EE anti-sway bar function better which is why I will keep recommending them, and the KYB's do not make the ST ride more harsh because they are on the rear. The KYB's are not a stiff shock, just firm. We do not do any towing, so my comment about the RAS is for those that want to keep their ST riding less stiff. The RAS actually works on both sprung & unsprung weight. So, with all that said, for those that want a comfortable & controlled ride go with a less expensive shock like the Monroe SensaTracks with the Roadmaster Active Suspension, and then add the anti-sway bar it you still feel it is necessary. BTW, as soon as I get a chance I am going to check this out by swaping out the EE anti-sway bar with the OEM one to check this theory just to confirm, but I recommend not waiting for me to do that since I am not sure when it will happen.

After the Kingman, AZ meet I think the "cat will be out of the bag" so to speak. I too wish we had put them on sooner. I am thinking about driving over to Explorer Express, and have Dave check them out. Edge, I do have a question for you: Does your RAS touch the top of the leaf springs? If not, how do you adjust them so that they don't? :cool:

Latest posts